decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, July 3, 2016

It's a "Snippet" Kind of Day

Today I am staying busy with all kinds of little things. First on my agenda is to make up my "world famous" baked beans. When I was young, I don't remember my mom doing much more to a can of Campbell's Baked Beans other than opening it. She may have occasionally made "real" beans with the soaking overnight method-or maybe not-I really don't remember.

But, my mother-in-law-who was from Norway and a FABULOUS cook used to always doctor hers up and I loved them. She didn't really have a recipe but she showed me what she put in her beans and I have always done mine that way ever since.

I don't have a recipe either and I might be in trouble if you ever REALLY love them one time because I probably can't totally replicate them again-but, I can come close.

I start with LOTS of bacon fried up crispy and then add some onions and get them pretty dark as well. I add whatever beans I am in the mood for that day and then start with the doctoring. I add dark brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, bar-b-que sauce and ketchup. I let the whole thing simmer on the stove until it gets nice and thick and then transfer it into one of my bean pots-red, white and blue today of course!





The bacon and onions are almost ready for the rest of the ingredients. I like to get the bacon really crispy so that once the liquid things join in the bacon doesn't get "floppy". You have to be really vigilant at this stage because it can all go from crispy to burnt in the blink of an eye-ask me how I know! lol

Everyone is in the pool. Now it will be stirred many times as it simmers and thickens.


They go into the frig overnight for the flavors to meld a bit more. Tomorrow I will start them in a cold oven, bring them up to 350 degrees and leave them until they get to their peak of yummy goodness! They may not be the most healthy version of baked beans but they are worth the risk!

I am also going to make up some of Ina Garten's Fresh Corn Salad. I usually add edamame to mine and then will throw in some of my just picked grape tomatoes and basil right before serving. I can eat the whole bowl of this by myself!


Thought I would show you my "I love it when that happens" moment from yesterday. Last year when I was ordering like a crazy person the PB Halloween stuff I just couldn't live without, there was a page of really discounted other holiday stuff. I saw this tea towel and threw it in the order as well. When it arrived, I was in the throes of Halloween decorating and just stuck the towel in the guest room chest of drawers where I store my holiday shirts. Normally, I would have been into that chest and brought out all of my 4th shirts way before now but the reno threw me off my game. When I finally went to get everything out yesterday so I could start dressing in the spirit, I found the towel. Better late than never and I love it here much more than those two towels I had originally hung. It's the little things around here that can put a smile on my face! As I am looking at that tea towel, I am wishing I had ordered a whole lot more...bet they would have made great 4th pillow covers!



And, look what came in the mail the other day:



I finally had a chance to look at it and I am so ready!!! After we celebrate the 4th of July first of course! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment