decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Can You Spell OCD?

Wow! Sometimes I am my own worst enemy!! I have mentioned before that I am a very symmetrical person-to the point of admitting that I fall very close to being totally OCD about it! And so begins my very sad tale of yesterday!

I thought I would be posting today about my beautiful new COMPLETED laundry area-but, alas, that will probably not be today's post. You see, as I was up on top of my washer-where it is very dark, shadowy and HOT, I needed way more hands than I have. As I was leveling the shelving track and dropping it down 3 1/2 inches so the wooden crown would fit-which I will admit to forgetting the first go round-the track must have slipped down about 1/2 an inch or so. I did not catch it until I was done and the shelves wouldn't get level no matter what I did. I tried to convince myself that the wood was warped but my eye kept going right to the track. I tried every way I could think of to jerry-rig but this system just didn't "allow" it! I gussied the shelves up and told myself NO ONE but me would even notice. BUT, that was the trouble. I was the one that WOULD notice and notice I did! I thought about it all night long and knew in the light of day that that track would be coming down!

But therein lies the problem. I used large, screw-in anchors-which held that track so tightly it would never fall down. But now I had to move the holes ever so slightly and that meant more holes in the drywall that would probably break into the previous holes-and that is just what happened.

I have now squirted every kind of hole filler I can find into those holes and I am keeping my fingers crossed that somehow they will hold when the screws go in but I am not counting on it. I have a back-up plan but it will involve so much more work that I am really hoping I don't have to use it. We shall see.

In the mean time, I am enjoying dreaming about how nice the finished area will look with these new treasures.


When I thought about things I had to have in this area I knew I would still need an over-flow area for dirty clothes. I used to have a laundry basket on top of the dryer for this purpose but it wasn't pretty. I have an extra 13 inches on the side of the dryer and this hamper not only matches the color scheme perfectly but the tag says it is 12.9 inches deep-honestly! Meant to be!!

I also wanted something hanging on that side wall but since I have relocated the "ugly" brooms and mops, I didn't need just the hooks any more...and, I thought maybe we needed a break from all of the wood so I found this metal shelf with baskets and hooks at HL-50% off to boot!

I also had plans to make a sign but, when I had to reconfigure where the baskets would go, I ended up with an empty spot that was just calling for this small sign-also from HL and also 50% off! Happy day...now at least the shelves will look symmetrical again-haha.



I did get all of the wood trim up and it looks nice. None of it fits perfectly because these "walls" are so far from even, straight or level but I'm O.K. with that-go figure! You can see all of the patches drying. Once I paint the area again, you will never know this happened-unless the anchors pull right out of the wall and the shelves fall! Oh well, it gives me something to look forward to!


Since I am not the world's best wait-er, it is a good thing this magazine found me yesterday. About the only thing that can take my mind off of finishing a project is the thought of planning Halloween. Time to put my feet up for a bit. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment