I have been taking it pretty easy this week because my back has really been killing me. I have done lots of sitting with my feet up and think I am feeling better so today I am going back into the real world-albeit ever so slowly and gently!
Even though there are so many REAL chores waiting to be done, I don't want to take any chances (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) so I decided the only thing I would try to accomplish today would be my Halloween bottles.
I think I mentioned that I have had these bottles for over a year. I bought them last year with something (?) in mind, but apparently that never worked out. I think I may have tried something for Valentine's Day and apparently that didn't work out either. And so, here I am yet again. This would be the year and this would be the holiday!
I started without a clear cut idea. I sprayed some Mirror Finish paint into the bottles as a start. That was my first "fail". I have done this before on Mason jars and the paint starts to dry and "mirror" immediately. But, I am guessing, because these bottles have such a small opening, drying time was greatly extended and I ended up rolling the paint in the bottle forever and finally hitting it with my blow dryer. It dried, but not to my liking.
Then, I convinced myself that since these were for Halloween, the "grosser", the better.
Next, I gave them each a shot of matte black spray paint...yuck! Then on to a shot of satin black spray paint. Double yuck! Only thing left was to start covering the bottles with whatever I could find. And boy did I find stuff!
I began ripping and wrapping paper and embellishments and got to here:
I can tell this is going to be one of "those" projects...just can't seem to find what it needs to make me happy! I decided to use some old keys, give them a spray of black and then silver and dangle them on as well.
Still not happy so I stamped out a few ghostly sayings and glued them on.
Decided to stick a piece of cork in the top and put on an old knob-of course, that one was harder than I expected. The corks didn't fit in the opening so some whittling ensued and then jerry-rigging skewers into the knobs and then into the corks...and, I learned the HARD way not to use a hammer to
So here are the finished 5 bottles. Don't know if you can tell from this picture but one of these bottles is definitely different!
Yep, it's this one. Do you notice all of the hot glue drips? This was one of those "react before you think" moments. As I said, don't use a hammer to push a cork into a glass bottle unless you are pretty darn sure that your hammer won't slip and hit the bottle!
Not only did I put a nice sized hole into the bottle but multiple cracks webbed everywhere. Since this was one of those many stepped projects - and yes, I know, it doesn't look like it should be - I knew I would not be heading out to buy another bottle and start all over again! I also wasn't making a bottle for myself that I could just give to someone in the place of this mangled mess. And so, I did the next best thing. I grabbed the glue gun and started running blobs of glue all over the hole and cracks and when that didn't look "too obvious", I just started adding more and more. At first I thought I could make it appeared spider "webby" but that wasn't happening. The next look was kind of "icicley" and that wasn't where I was going either so I just kept squirting.
The funny thing is that now that I have it done, I kind of like that one the best. But, I am not sure what the integrity of the bottle will be so I'm not sure I want to use it as a gift for anyone. Still debating...we shall see. Stay tuned.