decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Red Is the New Pink...

...or something like that!

I have seven grand children so sooner or later, things get passed down. That used to happen a lot with the first four-especially clothes- as they were all girls and pretty close in age. Then the next two to come along are boys so clothes passing is pretty much out of the picture-not to mention that even if they were girls, clothes are pretty much worn out after that many "pass downs". But, the four older girls did have lots of electronic stuff. Some of them liked theirs in pink but others preferred simple black. When it came time for these things to pass down, of course the older brother chose the black items and the younger got them in pink. For awhile, this was not an issue. But when Hudson turned 5, he began to question whether he wanted his things in pink-perhaps some of his brothers friends "got to him"-I don't know- so when a big, pink jeep got delivered from one of his mom's friends, he began to show a bit of resistance. Of course, not enough to say no to the jeep if it came to that but he chose the other path-he came to Nana because as he and all of his cousins somehow believe, "Nana can fix ANYTHING". And, somehow, if it is anywhere in Nana's capabilities, she WILL!

So when Hudson asked me about the jeep, I told him there was a plastic paint that might serve our needs. I have used it a few times and I must admit that I was not thrilled with the results but I couldn't come up with a better idea so he and I booked a date to Lowes to pick out the color and buy the supplies. There were not many colors to choose from but he wanted red so that worked out fine!

Truthfully, the hardest part of the project-and as you know the hardest part of ANY project for me-was the prep work. There were many, many parts of that jeep that had to be taped off or it would have looked pretty sad. Both Hudson and Presley helped me and I DO mean helped. I thought I would be re-doing their parts but these kids really got it! They were meticulous and we had so much fun talking as we went. It was a beautiful spring afternoon and I can't think of anywhere in the world I would rather have been.

Here is the jeep all taped and ready for its first coat:







Nana put on the first coat and then Hudson really wanted to try. When he said,"please may I have a chance?", I couldn't say no. He did a great job but realized how hard it is to push that nozzle and move the can in an even fashion. He quit after doing the back and Nana went "up a notch" in his eyes.





We really should have left the car alone at this point to let the paint cure but Mom and Nana were as anxious as Hudson was so we pulled off the tape and plastic and admired our results:




So what do you think? But wait, there's more. We are going to take a trip back to Lowes to pick out some colored Duck Brand Duct Tape. Then we are going to add racing stripes, lightening bolts or anything else this fabulous little one can conjure up. He is the most appreciative child I have ever met. He kept telling me all afternoon long how much he loved it and didn't stop saying thank you. It just does an old Nana's heart good! End results to come. Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment