decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Disclaimer!

After our recent trip to the blueberry farm, I wanted to make something with some of the berries before I froze the rest.

This is how I was taught to treat blueberries back in the day when we were dragging taking our kids in the heat of the summer to help us pick. Once you get them home, pick over them pulling off any small little stems that are still attached and discarding any that are too over/under ripe. Then, give them a good rinse and spread them out on paper towels on cookie sheets. Let them dry well. Then, you can freeze as many as you want and they will freeze individually and not stick together. I love frozen blueberries. I eat them like candy. This method keeps them the best way for future baking or cooking.

Once the berries have been frozen, they do lose their firmness if they are ever defrosted so use them frozen. The rest of the clean berries I put in a pretty crystal bowl and keep up front in the refrigerator. Funny how when they are presented in that way, both my husband and I find ourselves grabbing a handful each time we pull open that door.

Since I picked so many berries, I got the urge to bake something-thought one for us and one for my daughter's family as a thank you for taking me along would be nice. But, I was in no mood to head to the store so I had to search Pinterest for a recipe that I could make with what I had on hand-and that is usually not much exciting these days!

For some reason, I had 3 oranges in the frig-don't even remember where they came from-so that probably wasn't a good thing-but orange and blueberry sounded good so I got started.

I found a recipe for orange-blueberry breakfast bread. It was fun to make as it went together a little differently than a normal quick bread and it looked nice when it was done. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my expectations. It was a bit bitter-probably from bitter orange zest. I might actually try this one again with oranges that I actually remember buying. If it turns out better I will share the recipe. For now, imagine how good it MIGHT taste-next time!




I actually wrapped up the loaves after a little taste and put them in the freezer for a few days. I guess the flavors had a chance to meld a bit because it tastes a bit better than before and it is extremely moist. I have high hopes for next time-and I think I know where I can find some blueberries...stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment