decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Make New Friends....

...but keep the old-one is silver and the other gold. That is the old G.S. song that I have sung for many years. And so today, as I realized that I had done my spring decorating but had forgotten to change out my bedroom linens, I headed into the closet where I store the various sets of bedding that I have. And there sitting on the top shelf was the "old"-actually the  first set of Ralph Lauren bedding I ever bought. And oh how I loved this set. But, for some reason, I haven't used it for the last 4-5 years. I have two other Ralph Lauren sets (don't know why-just something I love about his patterns)  and I seem to use the light green one for spring and summer and the rust colored one for autumn and winter.

And so, I let my old fondness for this set sway me. After all, it is very "springy" with its flowers and ribbons. So, out it came and onto the bed it would go. If it were only that simple! Remember the whole HUGE new mattress fiasco when I had to move the pediment that was over the bed up a bit because the new set was so high? Well, it was now too high to use both the pediment and the swags I made for the four poster frame. I figured I could live with the pediment down for a few months, so off the wall it came. Except that now there were the holes and unpainted areas from the old hardware before it moved. And, of course, there was no left over paint from this room. So then, I did my old trick of trying to mix up my own paint. I am usually pretty good at coming close to a match except that it always dries a bit darker so you never have a true picture until then. This can take awhile-and today I had to mix about 6 times.

Finally got it where it was acceptable. The areas where it isn't quite right I will pass off as "shadow". I proceed to change out the frame swags, window valances, shams and comforter and stood back to admire my beautiful spring bed. And, do you know what? I think I remember why I haven't used this set in so long. I just don't like it any more. I don't know if reads as too busy or there isn't enough contrast or just what it is but I think it will be coming down tomorrow. What do you think? Anyone want a set of Ralph Lauren Allison bedding-queen size?






And, if that didn't waste enough of my day, while I was in the closet I found a window scarf that I bought and have NEVER used. I found it on sale somewhere and thought it might look nice in the living room but I didn't like it. What ever made me think today would be any different? But, I'm nothing if not stupid tenacious, so I dragged it out, got the ladder, climbed up and did a bit of draping-I will admit it didn't take anywhere near as long as the bedding incident-and guess what? Now I remember why I never used that either. I don't like it. I am leaving it up until tomorrow. Who knows. Maybe it will grow on me. Probably not but my day is pretty much over and I need to have something to show for it. Probably going back to status quo tomorrow-so much for keeping the old. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment