decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, May 30, 2013

It's That Time of Year!

Whew! We're on the countdown of parties and ceremonies for the spring season and end of school year! I love all of the fun but hate that I can't be in two places at once. Yesterday I missed a day at Uncle Donald's Farm with daughter #3 and her two youngest but got to attend a retirement party for my brother in Gainesville.

My brother interned at Glen Springs Elementary in 1978, graduated from UF and accepted a job at the same school - and he has been there for 34 years. He has grumbled about retiring for several years now as state standards kept changing and getting more and more involved leaving less and less time for teaching. But, I really never thought I would see the day. As anyone who has ever been there can tell you, leaving is hard after so many years of loving.

The party thrown by his co-workers was wonderful and the only other retiree this year was his team partner. I never thought he cared much for speaking in public, but once he got to that mic, he was "on". His remembrances of her were sweet and funny and quite emotional.

Then, his mentor from all those many years ago got up to speak about him. He really was the favorite teacher at Glen Springs for all these years. She said kids used to cry when they saw they got her and not Mr. Dunphy.

My brother was a wonderful teacher but not a push over. He expected much from his students and they tried hard to live up to his expectations. You would think they would prefer an "easier" teacher but in the end, his love for his students was the drawing card. It was always all about them!

It was an honor to be there yesterday and hear all of the things said about him that we have known all these many years because you truly can not step foot out in Gainesville without running into someone who knows and loves him.

And just when we thought it was over, my "speech reluctant" brother took the podium to speak once again and thank his family. He gave a bit of a history of his "educational highlights" - quite honestly things I had forgotten and now marvel at the thought that he ever made it out of high school (but I digress) - and family remembrances. It was quite the tear jerking moment.







I know my brother will enjoy not having the scheduling constraints of teaching but I also know that after all of these years, he will miss his classroom very much. I have no doubt that he will not miss his students because I know he will continue to always be involved with children - starting with his summer track camp in a few short weeks. He loves kids and they love him-what a wonderful legacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment