decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Serendipity...Fate...Meant to Be!

O.K. You all know I am getting old and lead a pretty simple, run-of-the-mill Nana kind of life. So, when something spookily eery happens-unless it is during the 6 weeks of the year that my house is decorated for Halloween (yes, that's right! I love Halloween! Don't judge!!)-I get excited.

And, that is exactly what happened yesterday. If you read my post yesterday, you will remember me talking about the amber mosaic sconces that hang hung on either side of the mantle. I really still love them but was just getting tired of the whole look. Honestly, I was thinking of changing out the mirror as well, but that seemed like a larger challenge to me, so I set my sights on the sconces.

I had TRULY just hit the word "publish" on my blog, clicked out of that site and went straight to my facebook page to see what was happening. A new link had JUST come in and it was from Tres Chic-the very place I had fallen in love with some new sconces that were just too expensive for me to justify buying them! They were offering me 30% off everything in the boutique...and staring right back at me was their phone number. Can't get any easier than that. So I called, they were still there and just that fast, they were on hold for me!

Now this place is seriously only a few minutes from my house but since I had been doing a bit of spring cleaning, I did have to make myself a tad more presentable before running out the door!



Once I was home with those beauties, I went right at removing the old ones and remembered how much "fun" I had had drilling into the brick of my fireplace. And, this is where my luck stopped.

It would have been too much to ask for to be able to use the same screw and anchor. Plus, I couldn't hold the new sconce up by myself to step back and see where it needed to go. I knew my husband was working late and would come home tired and hungry-and not in the mood to mess with this little project of mine-and I wanted them up "yesterday". So, I did the next best thing-put out a plea to my son-in-law. He came over and between the two of us we got the job done!




There really wasn't much repair for me to do and since I am a "do-it-now" kind of girl, I went with what I had. Knew I could make it work. Then, I just mixed up a few colors of craft paint and got it pretty close. In doing this project, I decided I wanted to paint the whole fireplace again-still thinking about the color-so this is fine with me until then.



 As much as I love candles, I am going with the battery operated, on a timer ones. It is just too cumbersome to climb up and light and then blow out real ones every night. I do love how these things just "turn on and off" by themeselves and they give a nice flicker to the room while we are watching TV. I do wish they were taller-and I will be on the look out for some. If anyone knows where I might find them, please let me know.

And that is how projects sometimes start in my little mundane life. Serendipity...Fate....Meant to be. I think I feel the need for a few more makeovers in this room as well. My husband always says, I can do anything I want as long as it doesn't cost him a lot of $$$. I will have to see what I can come up with next. Stay tuned. 

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! I just cashed in on two Pier 1 coupons. Wasn't there something else I really liked at that store?? I can't remember so I guess I didn't love it. I think they look great. You have a couple of things that have that some kind of feel.

    ReplyDelete