decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

It's All About "Curb Appeal"

I am always looking for simple projects that are also inexpensive. Boy does this one fill the bill!

Several months ago, I saw a pin on Pinterest about adding decorative hardware to garage doors to jazz them up a bit. I fell instantly in love with the idea and even though the lady in the post said she found hers at Home Depot, I ran to my much closer Lowes. I find it hard to believe that Lowes doesn't carry this product, but the guy I asked said they do not. I was sad but buying stuff for several other projects that day, so I put it in the back of my mind with full intentions of heading to HD at a future date.

Fast forward to more recent times and daughter #3 is faux finishing her garage door with a wood grain look. It turned out just beautifully. It gives the whole house a richness. She mentioned that she would like to find some wrought iron hardware to bring it all up even another notch and I told her about my obsession with the same idea.

Then, while I was in the middle of all of my Easter preparations, I get a text with a photo and the words "look what I found". And there, on my screen were my much coveted faux hinges. Since I was vacuuming, I did not get it in enough time to get right back to her and tell her to pick up a set for me. Right about then, daughter #1 responded to the same text and expressed her desire for several sets (she has 2 garage doors) as well. She too was too late. I'm sure you can guess what happened next. On Friday afternoon-with bags of mulch left to spread, plants to be potted and rooms to be cleaned-I hop in my car and drive to the total other side of Ocala and search down 3 sets of these babies.

I was pretty sure they would turn out to be faux iron but I was wrong. And I'm saving the best for last-they were clearanced out for $8.30 a set. So here's what I'm talking about...


This is how my garage door started out looking. Really blah and a corner full of algae to boot.





Here it is half way done and still half wet from its recent scrub down-wonder why I never think of cleaning this door when I wash windows or the eaves?!




And here it is finished. And, I have to say, it is one of those silly little things that can make me so happy! I love it. I love it so much in fact that I think I am going to go back to my Pinterest "Curb Appeal" board and find some pictures of trellises that run over the top of a garage door. Why stop now? Stay tuned.  Oh, I forgot the really best part of this project! It really was soooo simple. Just mark spots, pre-drill small hole and install screws with a hand screw driver. The whole project only took about 30 minutes!


1 comment:

  1. Love it!! Mine are still in the packaging in the garage! I was planning on painting the doors tomorrow but apparently big storms are moving through so that won't be happening. Maybe next week??

    ReplyDelete