decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, September 8, 2013

One Baby Step Forward-Finally!

O.K. I am a "get-it-done" kind of gal and I really haven't been getting much done at all of late. And, quite honestly, that kind of throws my "mojo" off in all areas. I like to have projects-big projects-but recently, I just haven't had the time to tackle anything large. I'm lucky to just stay on top of the every day things that are always looming!

That being said, I know I have posted several times about wanting to do some updates around our house. I usually start a redecorating project with a new paint color. I know I have also posted about how difficult it has become for me to make decisions-even what's for dinner can sometimes send me running! So, with step number one not happening, I have been stopped in my tracks.

The other night while watching TV in the family room, I just could not handle my fireplace and mantle another second. I had seen a beautiful, large round wood framed mirror on a blog somewhere and set off online to see if I could find it. I couldn't. And, those I found that were similar were just waaayyyy too expensive for my "kinda, sorta" project.

And so, I headed out locally. I tried everywhere I could think of short of fine furniture stores (once again, I was wanting to go cheap) and couldn't really zone in on anything other than those with a formal wood frame and I was really going for shabby. Reluctantly, I headed to HL. As I have said before, I love HL but feel that some of their decor items are not always the best quality and, I think, often over priced. That is why I never buy anything unless it is on sale or I can use a coupon. Eureka! Mirrors were 50 % off and they had a "shabby", large, rusty metal one. It was 50% off-still actually more than I wanted for what might be only a temporary fix but now that it is done, it might just live here forever.



So this is what the wall used to look like with the large rectangular mirror. The color of the frame didn't pop and there were just too many straight lines. I really don't know what took me so long to realize what-beside color-was bothering me about this wall.



Here it is now. I know most of the mirror is hidden under my sign, but believe me, it makes a huge difference. The color pops and the round shape softens the whole feel of this wall. Doesn't hurt that it is metal and rusty and chippy. The shape sort of mimics the roundness on the sconces in the cylinder and scroll work-somehow it pulls everything together and I love it.

I will admit that I didn't love hanging it! It is fairly heavy, so it was not supposed to be hung with wire strung between the two pre-applied hangers. I will admit I was tempted, but, for once, I decided to follow the instructions. I started by measuring the wall, subtracting the size of the mirror, trying to figure out how far down the hangers were, etc. With the mirror being round, measuring off an arc was nearly impossible. I then got the brilliant idea to trace the mirror onto a large piece of Kraft paper. and then make holes on it where the hangers were. Then I could just center the paper on the wall and know where to drill into the Venetian plaster and brick wall. I marked off the area with masking tape, put up my pattern and leveled the holes. When the pattern measured equally in one place, it was off in another. When I scooched it over a bit, it went further off somewhere else. This SHOULD BE working. I have never felt so stupid! Then I thought to look on the back of the mirror and I realized that the hangers were not applied the same distance from the top. Hence, when I was trying to level that line, I was throwing everything else off. I ended up just eyeballing it. It is not perfect. I don't think the wall is either. It is perfectly centered between the sconces but not the ends of the wall-or vice versa-can't remember where I threw in the towel!

One more funny side note. I had almost second guessed myself on the size. Started thinking I might go a bit smaller. Thank goodness I didn't! I had completely forgotten that when this fire place was first installed, my husband's friend who did the install put 2 large air ducts IN THE MIDDLE of the wall. This was done on a day I was out of town and by the time I discovered it, it would have been major demolition to change it. So, when I took that old mirror down, there were the two gaping holes from those vents. I measured very quickly and this mirror is only about an inch or two wider. Holes covered-another disaster averted!

We had a busy week with eye doctor appts., dentist appts., hair appts. and various and sundry must-dos but we managed to fit in a day out of town where I added to my ever growing Halloween stash, our oldest grand daughter's volleyball game and our youngest grand daughter's Grandparents Celebration at her pre-school-so much fun!









This week is promising to be another busy one culminating with the whole family here next weekend to celebrate Olivia's 12th birthday. Can't wait. With the schedules these kids have these days, it is getting harder and harder to find a time when we can all get together. I feel a photo op coming on!! Stay tuned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment