decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Needing Some Inspiration

You know how much I love to craft. It has been my salvation the last six weeks. But now, I find myself out of inspiration...with dwindling supplies as well. I know that a lot of the craft sites that I follow are resorting to making things from repurposed things in their homes and yards but, alas, that is not the kind of crafter I am...or have ever been. Even way back with my GS troops on very limited budgets, I kind of always felt that if something was worth making, it was worth making in a way that it could be used. I'm not good at the toilet paper roll, stick, tin can kind of crafting. Believe me, I wish I was...especially looking at another month of isolation!

I have looked at lots and lots of ideas. Right about now I'm searching for things to add to my 4th of July decor when that comes out - and, by the way - that might just be sooner than later as it will give me something to do and I do love my vintage 4th decorations! But, I digress.

So, today is Sunday and I have decided to post the next spring decor visit and then maybe go watch a few of my favorite old movies. I will give myself permission to take a whole day "off" and then come out blazing tomorrow.

Before I change my mind, let's head to the family room.


I think I used all of the rest of the garden elements that I have in this room.





I moved this stack of book pages from the living room to here. Daughter #3 bought these for me at Ballard Design many, many years ago. I remember when she gave them to me that there were a number of questioning looks. They are, after all, just old book pages faced with pretty images and tied with twine...kind of the fore runner of the stamped, stacked books everyone - including me - is doing these days. I have actually loved them from the minute I got them and they have almost always been out in one vignette or another since the day I got them. I did print some new cover pages on red card stock and I use those for the holidays calling for red.


 And, when I had just one more little nest with no home, I decided to place it here...and, I love it.


I also love this vignette. I love how the basket mimics the bike basket on the sign and how the flowers and garden hat kind of look the same as well. I was going to do a bit of an update on the mantle this year but, since I can't get out to look and purchase, I guess that will have to wait until next year.




As much as I do not enjoy shopping online - I am more of a tactile person and like to see what I am getting up close and personal - I do give in now and then. Can you tell who the new kid on the block is in the shelf area?


That was probably a pretty easy guess if you've been a follower for any time at all. This "little" beauty has most of the things I am drawn to. We all know I love urns of any kind and if they are chippy and distressed, all the better.


When I saw this at Decor Steals, I knew I had to have it. I just didn't know where it would go but, with my penchant for decorating with pots and urns, it was a safe bet I would have no trouble moving it to many places. Until it arrived. In the first place, it is way larger than I thought it would be...which is fabulous.

It is literally too wide for many narrow shelves or spaces and so, just for what I thought would be a moment, I put it up in the TV armoire shelves. And then, I realized that it just might have found its permanent home. Not many things have a permanent home around here. For me, part of the fun of decorating is moving things around. But, these shelves are deep and dark. I knew right away that I should find some permanent items that are light in color so they will pop...and then just leave them there and add in bits of holiday and seasonal as needed.

And so, until something new comes along, this guy has found his "forever" home. I can actually see it filled with flowers, leaves, holly, etc. but that will have to wait until the stores are open again.


And here is where the bee skep ended up. Seems like I made that so long ago!


Since I really did just minimum spring decor in the bathrooms, I decided to just throw in this one picture and call it a day.


Spring is definitely at a minimun...but, I guess that is how it should be. It feels lighter and airier and cleaner...but, that can't last for long! I am chomping at the bit to start getting out the 4th. Maybe I could call it Memorial Day decor? We shall see. Stay safe and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment