decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Looking Back!

I think I have shared that I am having trouble finding new ideas that I want to make to add to my 4th of July decor. Everything that I found that I like, I have pretty much done...and so, that inspired this trip down memory lane and a reminder to myself of past 4th projects.

I still love my vintage fire cracker that I made so, so many years ago.  The flag is a downloaded print of a chalkboard drawing.


And then there is the "Bethany Lowe" knock off banner that I saw in a catalog somewhere but the price was way too high so I decided to whip one up myself. It was many "stepped" and took forever but I loved it so I was fine with that. Then, one day a few years later I happened to be in my favorite store in Micanopy where many Bethany Lowe holiday things are carried and you can imagine my surprise when I spied the banner...except that instead of the large one I had made, the original that I thought I was copying was actually miniature and made for a small tree. Of course, in my book, that made the high price even more absurd! And, I liked mine way better!!


This little flag picture was a free printable from a blog and so easy to put together.


The number 4 is nothing more than a papier mache' number decoupaged with a patriotic napkin and tied with some baker's twine.


This wreath was simple to make as it is mostly 4th of July picks from HL on a grape vine wreath and tied up with a patriotic bow.


I still really like my Pledge of Allegiance. It is just a flag from Michaels that I tea dyed and then wrote the words to the Pledge on the white stripes.


I still can't believe that I got these cuties made. I had ripped this idea out of a Martha Stewart magazine a long time ago. When I finally decided to make them as gifts, I headed to Lowes and found out just how expensive ball feet could be...and so, I tabled the project. Fast forward to daughter #3 taking us up to the "Fancy Flea" for Mother's Day - a year or so later - and me spying a large tub of old ball feet. They still weren't inexpensive but I liked the idea of them being old. They came off of old wardrobes from an old hotel...SOLD! Then, it was simply a matter of gathering and cutting the rest of the wood and, voila! I still love mine!


I made Uncle Sam with my grand kids. He was so easy that theirs all look better than mine.


I made the Bingo card back when I was obsessed with ephemera. I think I made one for about every holiday.


Daughter #1 actually made this for me. I think it was another Martha idea. She just ripped some brown Kraft paper, painted the flag, crumbled it a bit and then stained over it all.


My 4 oldest grand daughters and I made these 2X4 picture holders one year. They actually look better when they have a picture clipped to the clothes pin.


My Uncle Sam burlap door hanger is still a favorite.


Hudson, Presley and I each made a canvas flag a few years ago and then the 4 oldest and I did the sand art candles a long time ago.


I made these bead board flags as gifts one year and it is still the main focus of my mantle all these years later.


This is another of my $2.50 HL pillow covers. I really had fun doing this one and love the way it turned out.


Here is the paint stirrer star I made last year when everyone was doing the stir stick crafts...and I had no other brilliant ideas back then either so I gave it a try. This is definitely not a favorite but it can always be nestled into some empty space and look cute.


I made the fire crackers from dowels, scrapbook paper, wire and wood stars a long time ago.
 

This is another craft that my older grand daughters and I did. One year we made one as gifts for almost every holiday all year long. We just glued together the letters from HL, decoupaged them with scrapbook paper and then stamped them and embellished any way we wanted.


This was another Bethany Lowe knock off and took us forever to make but we loved them when we were done. It definitely reads as primitive.


Another simple napkin decoupaged on to a wood star and then sprinkled with clear glitter.


This is always one of my most "pinned" projects every year. Daughter #3 gifted me with the original wreath using her three children's hand prints. I later took it apart and laminated all those little hands so it would last forever and, so far, it has!


Another favorite...napkin and tissue paper decoupaged plate.



A variation on the flower pot picture holder.



And, another plate. This time I printed vintage 4th images and decoupaged them first and then covered the rest of the plate with red tissue and edged the rim in gold.

 

And lastly, a pillow cover that I made as gifts and then painted with the flag. If I remember correctly, I knocked this one off of a PB pillow that year.


Holy cow! That is a lot of red, white and blue. Do you see why I am having trouble coming up with new ideas? Looks like maybe I will have to take an old idea and figure out how to tweak it...everything old is new again! Stay safe and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment