decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Last One

So yesterday I started taking down Easter and putting up my spring decor. This is really one of the easiest swap outs as so much of my spring stuff is already out with the Easter as fill-in. I do still have a bit to do to finish up today but I wanted to make a pillow cover and, as it turns out, this is the last one I have from the stash I had left over from planned Halloween covers that just never got done.

Again, I will remind you, I am just not an artist. I can get close enough that viewers can probably tell where I am going but that's about as close as they will get. Lol And so, I knew I couldn't really do any spring flowers that had detail. I also like to fall back on the water color look so I can say it is my "impression" and get away with it.

I really only wanted shades of light purple with a touch of spring green. I was inspired by a beautiful, huge wisteria we had at out first house and also by lilacs-which I have not seen in person since my childhood.

In any case, I got out the usual supplies.


I decided to start with a jumping off point...even though I really don't know if either of the flowers I am going for have such a branch.


Then I just started "blobbing" on the two shades of purple and some white for shading and giving it all a spritz with the water.



I probably should have stopped with one spritz and seen where the paint would end up but my inner "Renoir" took over and I just got to blobbing and spritzing. I was really having fun until I realized that my flowers were expanding into more than just an impression. Of course, once you are this far, there is no turning back so I just went with it.


I added a few spring green leaves and the fabric was so wet that they pretty much "melted" away until...

...I came back with straight paint and added a bit more color. So, this is where things stand right now. I am going to give it some time to dry and then see if I need to add any more color.



Stick with me. I won't make you watch paint dry. I am off to fill the TV unit in the sunroom with all of our family photos. I'll be back and let you know how we are doing. Hang tight.

So it is all dry and boy did it bleed! I'm trying to convince myself that that is what I meant to do but, honestly, I'm having a hard time believing me. Lol I did go back and add a bit of paint after it was dry and put in a few more branches and some veins in the leaves. In any case, here it is and it not only served as another way to keep me busy today but it does give a pretty pop of spring color to that end of the room.







So, that is it for today. I'm hoping to be back tomorrow to start the spring house tour. I've definitely got to hustle to come up with some new ideas for things I can do with stuff I already have...not sure where that will end up, but we will see. I think the next holiday I will decorate for will be 4th of July so I guess I had better start pulling out the red, white and blue. Stay safe and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment