decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, May 31, 2018

Couldn't Wait Any Longer!

I just couldn't wait any longer. The rain was starting to get to me and I needed a change. So what better than to get rid of "spring" and bring on the red, white and blue! Let's start in the living room. The sun is actually shining so bright I had an even harder than usual time getting pictures today so I hope the reflections are not getting in your eyes...might just be "one too many" mirrors in this room also?!




The front entry is pretty much as it usually is for the 4th. I like to use my old typewriter as often as I can so everything else kind of fits around it.


I don't know if you've noticed, but I have taken to just leaving the mirror here all seasons and if there is a wreath, it simply goes on top. I used to move it for certain holidays but, in fitting with my "simplify" rule, I am trying to leave certain things in place all of the time and just add or subtract the embellishments. I really still love this wreath that I made. It is simply a grapevine base decorated with the geraniums and then various picks that I found at HL. I made this a few years ago but I think I saw most of the same picks there just the other day.




I made these "firecrackers" many years ago. I love vintage holiday decor and I "knocked" this off from some site-it could have been Traditions- and I still love it. I just covered a piece of mailing tubing with a print out of the Declaration of Independence, glittered up some round card board shapes for the top and base as well as a star and #4, crimped a piece of paper and and shaped it into a circle and printed up the date banners. Then I glued it all together and topped it with a firecracker pouff that I think was a decorated tooth pick for hors d'oeurves. The framed picture is a download of a chalk board picture that really looks true to life in person. I didn't use the glass so it has the matte look of a real chalk board-and way better than anything I could have ever drawn.!
 

I am always happy when I find a "reason" to use my typewriter in my decor and what better "writing" than the Declaration of Independence for the 4th of July. I downloaded it and printed it on parchment and then ripped the edges. I was feeling pretty proud of myself when one of my grand children-and it was one of the youngest ones-asked me why I had a hand written document coming out of a typewriter! Not to even mention that the first typewriter wasn't invented until 1868!!



I made these pillow covers a few years back. I think it is a PB knock off. I just made a simple linen cover and then painted on the flag. And since it is just a cover, storage is so easy!




This flag holder popped up on my FB memories the other day. It was something I had wanted to make for a long time but, since I wanted to do a number of them for gifts, buying the "ball feet" at Lowes made them kind of expensive. We just happened to be on a Mother's Day trip to the "Fancy Flea" with Jen one day and one of the booths had a huge barrel full of antique ball feet...and I think they were $3 each! I couldn't grab them up fast enough! Here's a throwback to where they started.







The miracle isn't that the flag holder is still here, the miracle is that I can REMEMBER where I store it every year. It is too heavy to go into any of the containers that I have to lift onto shelves and too tall to go many other places. I made them in 2015 and in 2016 it took me forever to find it!! I haven't forgotten again since! The framed flag was another freebie. I had the frame and flag. I simply took the flag off of its dowel, coffee stained it and when it was dry I wrote the words to the Pledge of Allegiance on the white stripes with a fine Sharpie pen.



I still love my Bethany Lowe knock-off banner that I made-although I did find out after the fact that mine is about 100 times larger than hers. Hers was actually made to use on a small feather tree. That being said, I don't have a feather tree and I love mine where it is!




This was the easiest craft ever. I just cut a piece of 4th of July patterned scrapbook paper, downloaded and printed the flag and double matted it in red and blue and then attached it to the paper with foam tape so it stood out a bit. I already had the small black frame and all of the papers so it really was a free craft!







 






So that is the start of my 4th of July decor for this year. I promise I have more changes in the other rooms. For some reason, I like the living room the way it is...that said, I do have some adventures coming up so if I should find some new treasures and change anything, you'll be the first to know. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment