decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, May 11, 2018

Quiet Morning

I hadn't been planning to do a post today, but things are quiet around here as I wait to hear some details on the plans for this weekend. I don't want to start any big projects so I went out to the gardens just to enjoy our morning temperatures before things get HOT around here today. The hydrangeas are all starting to bloom and the large hedge around the stone patio is particularly pretty. And, all of the gardenias are now in bloom-both the minis and the full size.

Of course, my first instinct was to grab the clippers and start cutting bouquets. But then the dilemma struck-yes, I know, all problems should be this "overwhelming"...but, I told you it was quiet around here and I was going stir crazy! Lol Should I cut them all and make HUGE bouquets for the house or leave them where they are? With all of the company (albeit, family) coming this weekend, I know that most of us will spend time out around the pool and these blooms really make the area gorgeous!! But, the inside likes to get its "pretty" on as well. So, I did what all moms preach to their children-I came up with an equitable compromise. I cut enough gardenias to fill a small vase and scent the house just enough and then I cut the hydrangeas that were sticking out too high or too low. In most cases, they were the smaller ones but I am OK with that.



I posted yesterday that I was going to pick my youngest grand daughter up from school because her mom and brother were on a field trip to St. Augustine and not due back until right before Harrison's guitar recital and her dad was "out in the field" for work. This is another of my arts and crafts kids-she loves it so I thought I would see what I could come up with for a simple gift for Mother's Day for all of the moms here this weekend. Once again, Pinterest to the rescue! I really didn't want to run to the store for supplies so I found just the right project that only used supplies I had on hand. And yes, I actually have a laminating machine. After so many years of crafting with kids, it just made sense to buy one and I can't tell you how often I use it. I also had these tassels in my scrapbooking supplies. Luckily, they were one of the few things that I did not sell at my garage sale or I would be posting about my "Murphy's Law" history of getting rid of things and needing them the next day...but, I digress!

Again, if this had been when I started "grand-motherhood" 22 years ago, I probably would have insisted on a clothing change as well as a hair style-or at least a barrette...and you can believe me when I say I did try the barrette thing and you see where it got me Lol This time, I let her be happy in an outfit that she had been in all day and played hard on the playground in but, I am 22 years into this and getting too tired to fight any more. Ha-ha. Besides, if this one was all gussied up, we might not even recognize her as Presley!

Thankfully she has finally reached the point where she will pose for me. Sometimes it still might take a bit of a bribe but not this time. She had fun. We took these:




She chose the one she liked best and we did a bit of correcting on the color, etc. and then printed them up. Then, all it took was cutting them out, running them through the laminator, cutting again and attaching a tassel and we got this:


They're really cute and since we are all readers, it is a kid generated gift that we will really use-I still use all of the bookmarks the kids made over the years-and we won't need to find wall or shelf space when we're all trying to de-clutter a bit. Win-win solution and simple and fun to boot.

Harrison's recital went fine although Mom, dad and Hudson literally walked in one minute before it started...one of those kind of days where you need to be in more than one place at a time. Forgive my phone camera picture...not the best but this is Har with his group. He did great considering he broke a string and didn't ask either mom or dad if they could run it to the music store (as well as first go by the band room and pick up the guitar) until the morning they were both walking out the door. Teenage boys!!! Remember, Jen and Hud had an early start to St. Augustine and dad (who is an engineer and has all sorts of road, bridge and sink hole issues to confront this month) was off to the field. Suffice it to say, he played with only four strings but, since this is a beginner group, I don't think anyone caught on...wink, wink!

So still no word on ETAs for this weekend so I am off to see what other trouble I can get into. Stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment