decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, May 14, 2018

OK! Wow! Whew!!

I am so NOT complaining!!! You know I love a project. That being said...I truly never realized just how BIG our family room is until we started painting!!

The initial plan had been for the entire family to converge to start the family room update with a painting party. But, as sometimes happens (and especially because this was apparently planned some time ago when calendars were actually clear), life has other ideas. Grand daughter #4 had a mandatory IB volunteer project pop up so that put them coming in much later than expected and grand #1 had to work on Sunday so she and her sister had to move something they had planned for their mom to Saturday-so that had them not coming to my house until Sunday. Being the considerate mom that I am (wink, wink...and with fingers crossed they would say "no), I offered poor daughter #3 and her hubby an out as they were now the only ones here for most of the "party" but they were ready to forge ahead. And I was more than happy to join in...so, "forge" we did.

Remember the "before"


The process started with almost three hours of "paint swatching". We decided on a color called "classic gray". It is a Benjamin Moore color but my daughter prefers Sherwin Williams Cashmere paint so she gets it mixed there. This is, in my opinion, an expensive paint but oh so worth it! It goes on better than any paint I have ever used and dries quickly. Jen tells me that is why her painting contractors prefer this paint-they can get on two coats in one day with no worries!
 

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, this is a big room. I guess I never realized how big because I have always had it pretty full of furniture and "stuff". It still wouldn't have been quite the bear to paint that it was except for the fact that MUCH of the room is barn board. There was no way getting around the fact that the barn wood had to be painted with brushes-and would still need 2 coats! Plus, the barn wood has sides so instead of just a nice flat area, the were MANY edges, sides, crevices, etc. to contend with. I swear we were at this more than 5 hours before it even looked like we were making a dent! Jen started to panic when she saw that the spaces between the boards were much more visible now with the paint and thought for sure I would want it all caulked. But, I can still surprise everyone. I actually like that you can now tell that this is real barn board not reproduction stuff. It feels very "South Hampton" beach house to me. And, even though I really do not like coastal decor, I like the shabby-chicness of this! Maybe it feels more "farmhouse" to me. I don't know but we sure saved a bunch of time with that decision!




The last of the wood tone and I was starting to feel the new vibe.


I really, really wasn't sure how I would feel once all of our wood was painted. I have always loved the coziness of this room. But, for some reason, I just knew it was time for an update. I have always prided myself on the fact that we have kept our house updated ever since we bought it new 50 years ago. And, believe me, that is a LOT of updating! I have no problem with "original" but I always wonder about people on decorating shows who complain that they have lived somewhere for years and have always hated the color, hardware, lighting, etc. Do something about it! And so I knew that it was time! The room just started looking gloomy and dated.

I will say that now the ceiling looks even dingier and it probably could use a new coat of paint. That being said, may I remind you that that it the ceiling that I spackled with HAY mixed into the spackling! It was an idea from Lynette Jennings (one of TVs first home decorators many years ago). She did it on the walls but I knew I would be changing wall color a lot so I chose the ceiling. That combined with the wood gave the room an Irish pub kind of feel and I loved it. But, it will NOT be fun to paint so it is going at the end of a VERY long list of to-dos and if I live long enough....Lol

So here is where we are as we speak. I raised the window valance. Almost left it off but the sun is brutal as it sets on that side of the house and I only pull down the shade occasionally as I like to look out. The rug is gone and the kids surprised me with an 8X10 (the size my decorator daughters have insisted I needed all along. I guess the size of the rug is a big deal. I always chose the smaller size so I could center it without it going under any furniture much. I guess that's a design "faux pas"! Plus, a 5X7 is much less expensive!) sisal look but carpet feel rug. It is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. And then, even to my untrained eye, that rectangular, slate coffee table is not doing it any more. We are on the look out for a round table but this will have to suffice until I find "just the right one"-meaning one we all agree on. It may be a long summer. As I have said before, I trust their vision but I still have an opinion on things I really just don't like!

Here's the one I'm thinking of. It has the dark brown wood of the mantle and the dark metal of the other metal accents in the room. It is only 36" so some editing will be necessary when I'm doing my holiday decorating!




The other thing Jen did was pull the two chairs out from the corners. As much as she would like for one of them to have found a new home, she did have to admit that when I have any company or even just family, all of this seating is necessary. She also would like those two ottomans gone but for me, it is comfort over style in this case! So, nooo.  I would NEVER have thought of this arrangement in here although I do "float" furniture in other rooms. I love how it frees up that end of the room and makes it "walkable".  You probably can't tell from these pictures but we were now able to move the huge TV armoire-another bone of contention as they would like the TV on a smaller unit but because it also houses my CD changer, TiVo, surround sound, Blu-Ray player, tons of DVDs and candles and, of course, my many, many family pictures, this remains the best option-at least for now-down about a foot and it makes the room seem even larger!


I seriously love the clean, fresh feel of the room now. I am anxious to see how the rug anchors this space. We toyed with a lot of other ideas but, for now, I am thrilled with this. Mission accomplished!!

And then, on Sunday, everyone (except grand #1) was able to be here and we all headed out for lunch at one of my favorite, downtown restaurants. Trust me, my sons-in-law were there, they just won't stand still for pictures very often. lol



There is a little bit of "mopping up" that I want to do today but for the most part I'm done...until I'm not. I was beat last night but then I sat down in my chair and this is what I saw...my beautiful Mother's Day flowers and my beautiful gift of a new room. It perked me right up...but not quite far enough to get up and get the camera so you will have to squint through my grainy phone camera pix. Sorry.



And then, this morning I went outside between our FINALLY, very welcome raindrops to find my standard size gardenia bushes in full bloom. I only planted them as small, beginner bushes last year so I am thrilled. Lots of little chores to do today while we get some more expected rain so I am off. I'll be back when the rug arrives so you can give your opinion too. Stay tuned.






No comments:

Post a Comment