decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Wearin' O' the Green

Wow! I can't believe how long it has taken me to paint my dining room and kitchen! Don't know if it is because I am slowing down or because there was just a LOT of stuff to be done. If you remember, we added crown molding in the dining room. That all had to be caulked and sanded before painting-as well as the shelves that were added. Then, LOTS of taping off to do before painting the walls.

Of course, once the new molding was a bright, shiny white, the crown molding in the kitchen was looking a bit dull, so that begged to be re-caulked and painted. The kitchen always looks like it won't be hard because there aren't many "full" walls, but it seems that quite the opposite is true. Because there are so many built-ins, there is so much more detail to paint around-give me big ole' plain walls any day!

In any case, while I was doing all of this, I was smart enough not to try to take down Valentine's Day and put up St. Pat's-although I will admit that I was mighty tempted. So glad I waited as there was so much dust from all of the sanding that a really good cleaning was in order before starting decorating. Must admit that I am not quite done with that "really good cleaning" but, the living room is ready so I will start our tour there.

I love St. Pat's Day but most of my decorating consists of "green" as there is not a lot of nice stuff available-mostly just party things. Occasionally I will find something in Home Goods or a gift boutique and when I do, I snatch it up!



I always love a holiday where I can figure out a way to use my typewriter!


The couch table is decorated mostly with green glass except for the leprechaun's hat that the girls and I made from clay flower pots many years ago-and it is sitting on a tall candle stick this year- and a framed download of the Irish prayer.




















And now for a little tease. You can see the new kitchen color and where the baker's rack finally came to rest-it has tried a few places before settling here-and, quite honestly, if I could think of something else to put here, it would be moving once again. I have to keep reminding myself that this is supposed to be a re-do and "the cheap" or I would be out shopping right now!


Still working on the new kitchen decor. Finding I am going to want to get rid of most of the old colored accessories and keep things in natural tones. I will need to find some fabric to recover bar stool seats, new pieces for the walls, etc.-but, all in good time. I am still wrapping my brain around the wall color-Woodrow Wilson white by Valspar. I think I like it. I KNOW I don't want to repaint it any time soon so I am talking myself into LOVING it! We shall see. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment