decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

So Simple

I told you how I am seeing things through "new eyes". When I had the wall of built-ins added to my dining room many, many years ago, I was all about primitive country. I wanted these things rough and rustic. I can distinctly remember the carpenter asking me over and over if that is what I really wanted. I think it actually pained him to build it as I asked.

Now, if I am honest and I was building these things today, they would look nothing like this! I am much more traditional now. My taste has changed.

And so, when my daughter was giving me some design advice, I thought the first thing she would say was "get rid of those things". It really wouldn't be too hard a fix because a new facade could be added rather easily but no, she surprised me by saying they're fine the way they are. I guess they are now considered eclectic.

But, I wanted a change - even a little change - so I asked her about adding door knobs and got the go ahead. And so, in truly just a matter of 30 minutes we went from this:






to this:






Isn't it funny that when you are "antiquing" something they tell you to sand paint off of the corners and where your hands would have touched it over the years and my piece comes self-antiqued just by virtue of age and use. Now that my "new eyes" are looking at it again, perhaps a new coat of paint is in order - or at the very least, a shot of Fantastic and a good scrubbing! Since I had a full bag of these knobs (they were once on my kitchen cabinets) and a strong electric drill, this was a total freebie project. I know it won't change the world, but it made me happy! Who knows where we'll go next. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment