decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Love It When It Happens!

Call it serendipity or call it a happy coincidence. I would love to say I planned it all - and maybe, in a way, I did because I have been "at this decorating thing" for so many years that I guess sometimes I just go by instinct. But, all that being said, I don't think that was the case here.

First, I posted about how the paint color that I had picked out (Toasted Almond) came out reading as green in my dining room. Then, I knew I wanted almost white in the kitchen but a few shades warmer so that it didn't look like I was trying to match the white of the cupboards.Well, the kitchen paint (Woodrow Wilson White) still reads a bit off what I expected and if the dining room had turned out the color I thought it would, these two room would have no delineation. I like looking through the house and seeing similar shades of the same color family but still enough of a difference that you know you are in a different room.



From this direction it kind of looks like the LR and kitchen are the same color. Go figure. This is the only room that was SUPPOSED to be green. It has been around awhile but was some one of the variations Martha Stewart had to her "sage" grouping. As I look at it with my "new" eyes, I am thinking this will be my next project.
 


I have also posted about how I wasn't all that in love with the mirror over the love seat at the end of the dining room. And, that we are doing this room by just trying to "shop" our house and not spend more $$$ so I was overjoyed when, at a recent football game, my son-in-law said he had something in his truck my daughter had sent (she stayed home with the two youngest because the weather was a bit "iffy"). Much to my delight, it was two black wrought iron sconces that she had tired of. She said they were for either side of the mirror and she said to hang them a bit low to mimic the shape of the back of the seat. She also said to use two very tall off white candles but I haven't had a chance to buy them yet. Anyhow, once I got them hung - and by the way, don't you just love it when you try to hang things at exactly the same height and discover that when they were made their little "keyholes" were put in in different places - but, I digress.




In any case, these are just what the doctor ordered! They mimic the wrought iron of the floor lamp and the new chandelier and give the grounding to that spot that was needed. Serendipity or is my daughter one heck of a decorator? I'll go with the second as she just started her new design business and has already been contracted to do  a number of houses as well as a popular doctor's office here in town. Couldn't be more proud and figure I better get all the advice I can from her while I can still afford her -haha!

There are still some things to be added and tweaked. Definitely need something on the wall over the jelly cupboard. I have a birthday right around the corner - hint, hint! Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment