decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, February 10, 2014

Crazy, Full Weekend!

Wow! What a wonderful weekend we had. Saturday was a bit rainy and cold but it worked perfectly for all of the crafting, baking, cooking, games and movies the kids and hubby and I had planned and then yesterday was absolutely picture perfect-just right for all of our outdoor stuff! Wish we could freeze that weather (?) -you know what I mean-have it every day, all year long not actually "freeze".

In any case, the kids arrived on Saturday and it was a jam-packed day!


They started off by making a banner of tiered hearts. They each knew exactly how they wanted their heart to look and Mommy is looking forward to hanging it on the mantle in the living room.




Next, we made pink chocolate chip cookies. I found this recipe on Pinterest several years ago and it has been a "must-do" every year since. They are supposed to be given as gifts but with the appetites these kids have, I don't think there will be enough left to give anyone!




I needed a long, thin photo for the frame we made, so this picture was the winner.



I really can't believe I "cheated" so much on this year's dinner. These are the times that usually see us dying pasta or hand shaping doughs but I knew we had much to accomplish and we wanted to be done in time to snuggle in and watch Despicable Me II. With that in mind, I bought a frozen cheese pizza and had the kids cut pepperoni with a small heart shaped cookie cutter - so simple. Then, they cut water melon, cantaloupe and strawberries into heart shapes and threaded them on popsicle sticks to make fruit kabobs. Dessert was Publix mini cupcakes and cookies.


Here is the frame they made as another gift for Mom and Dad. I simply bought it unfinished at HL and then we each chose a paper to decoupage on and then we decorated with embellishments.


Plus, since we were also going to squeeze in a little burthday celebration for Aunt Key, the kids made heart shaped, rose scented shea butter soap as table favors.

We finished off the night watching our movie but in the morning, after a good, hot breakfast, the kids headed out to the drive to paint birthday wishes for Aunt Key to greet her as she arrived. We made the paint from corn starch, water and food coloring and the stuff was fabulous. So easy for the kids to use and they really had fun. Actually, this morning it looks even better as it has dried to nice solid colors. I used a little less water than it called for so I am guessing I may have these lovely greetings on my drive way for quite some time -ha-ha!



On Sunday morning, the labor force arrived. I had been given a gift certificate for a day of work as one of my Christmas gifts so today I was cashing it in. I can't believe all of the things that my family got done for me! It would have taken me so much longer to do myself and in some of the cases, I probably would have gotten injured just trying. Lots of outside work as well as more design work inside. My husband and I were in the unique position of doing only what we wanted so we kind of floated back and forth between the little kids and the big ones.


It was so gorgeous outside that that is where everyone wanted to be. Ended the day with the super fun Valentine Slime!






So here is a sneak peek at some of what is happening in the dining room. There is lots of caulking and painting to do before we get to the super fun decorating part. I will be busy this week with that as well as Valentine baking, Valentine's Day festivities, a quick trip to Gainesville and a viewing of the Lego Movie with the kids. So much fun...can't wait! Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment