decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, March 5, 2011

"Irish Spring" Isn't Just Soap

I knew it wouldn't be long before I couldn't help myself and spring would have to start creeping in! I have used a few bird nests and cages up til now, but they didn't seem to take front stage quite as much as the one featured here.





It all started with this pedestal dish. I saw a tutorial for making it on a blog (which I can no longer find) and when I saw how the writer just put together old, random things, I knew I had a winner. After all, I am the queen of "old, random things"! I have tried to pare down so many times, but I CAN'T tell you how many times I have finally parted with things and literally the VERY NEXT DAY, I see the most wonderful idea on how to use them. I have spent more time than I care to remember in my trash can praying that what I threw out hasn't been picked up yet - sometimes successfully and sometimes not so successfully! So, I found an old monkey pod bowl that I haven't used since the last luau and an old wooden candle holder, glued them together with Liquid Nails, spray painted it green and sanded it down to shabby chic. I loved it but didn't have time to look for a proper home so I stuck it here. Then, I decided I would just leave it there but it looked lost so I went looking for another nest. I found this nest basket first and stopped right there. It was just supposed to be a quick temporary fix, but when I saw how the purple flowers popped, I knew I would be leaving it there - at least for the moment.


I was in a small decor shop the other day and I saw this stone saucer. I could think of so many ways to use it and it was rather inexpensive so I grabbed it. For now it is under this cloche filled with St. Pat's coasters and a small bowl but I already have visions of how I can use it in both holiday and every day decorating. I love things that are rough and rustic looking and grab them up whenever I can.

The Irish blessing in the background I simply printed and framed. I put this one here and then found a slightly more modern version and did the same thing in the familyroom.


The refrig is once again covered. No matter how much I love it clear, I always have so many pictures I just have to display and there are only so many frames one house can hold! My new favorite magnets are paper covered clothespins with a magnet strip on the back. I use seasonal scrapbook paper and they are a snap to make.




That pretty much gets us through the house once again. I have some random shots to share with you soon but unless I see some more "must dos", I think I am done decorating for St. Patrick's Day. Now all that is left is to sit back and enjoy celebrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment