decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Happy Easter

I always have trouble decorating this mantle for Easter. I don't know why but I do. I don't really like the white dogwood blossoms along the eggs lights, but I use them to help disguise the ugly wires. Once again, I have these flowers and don't want to buy any others but I think the white of the dogwood somehow fights with the spring flowers in the olive jar.

Some years this area becomes the "dumping ground" of all homeless things termed "Easter". I didn't want to do that this year so I tried to go basic, simple and natural. I am still not totally pleased so if life slows down at all, this will be an area to be tweaked. Until then....


It looks like I may be leaving those shutters up. Every time I take them down, I miss the height they bring to this area. The white Pottery Barn olive jar appears in a new place filled with some silk flowers that I bought one time to replicate a HUGE display that I saw in a beautiful decor & gift shop. The only problem was that I decided that I could find something else to use beside the ALSO HUGE container they were displayed in that was for sale at an exorbitant price! I am not sorry I didn't buy the container - I AM still alive after all - but I must say that I never quite found anything that made my very close-to-the-real thing flowers look anywhere near what they should have. I have kept them hoping I would one day find the right thing but alas, I have given up on that hunt and simply stuck them in here. They were meant to hang and droop so they're not exactly right for this jar, but I already own them, so that is a good thing - at least as far as my husband is concerned!

When I put this nest on the green pedestal, I fell in love with the contrast of the purple and green and find myself leaning towards those colors a lot this season. I also love to use these old sap buckets that I bought in Dade City several years back. They (or just one or the other of them) will pop up in my decorating most seasons of the year somewhere in this house.

The tall white candlestick holds a purple vase filled with ferns. I started out to put a big egg on the top of the candleholder as I already had enough candles out this year. I didn't have one available and didn't want one more thing on my "to-do" list so I tried this and I like it. In fact, I like about anything other than a candle on a tall candleholder these days. It is a great way to add height and presence of something smaller when needed.


I can't remember where I bought these guys. They have been around a long time. They are two of the things I still use simply because of tradition although I must admit, I'm kind of O.K. with them in this area.


This is my rusty Easter hanger that I bought in my favorite shop in Dade City along with the sap buckets. It just spoke to me. I really don't think I have found its best use either. Right now it hangs across my old red cupboard in the familyroom but some day creativity will strike and I know I will do something really wonderful with it. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment