decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

That Time of Year!

 It is THAT time of year again. The time that I start getting very antsy and having a hard time focusing. I have so many things to do outside that even when I can spend a bit of time out there, aren't even beginning to get done...and the list grows. But, since it is either so hot I can't tolerate it or storming, I'm not exactly spending a lot of time out there so I am not as concerned about how it looks at the moment. I manage to keep it relatively weed free and trimmed so I am OK with that. The finer details will come when the temperatures drop a bit.

So that finds me indoors and looking for things to stay busy...well, things that I want to do because there are always "things". Lol

And, since I am TRULY finished with sunflowers, I find myself continuously perusing Pinterest or craft blogs for some new ideas for autumn. I really haven't found any more crafts to get me excited so I'm on to thinking about decorating. I looked back over my house decked out for autumn last year and just seeing the colors gets me ready to start the swap...until I realize that we are still just in the middle of July! I did look at some new ideas that caught my fancy so I'm now trying to see how I can fit them into my house. The goal is always to make changes without buying very much new...I have more than enough right now! But, when I do the Pinterest search it seems as if I come up with ideas that are sort of similar to things I have so I should be able to work it out without breaking the bank.

My girlfriend and I took a few decorating courses out at the college many years ago and the instructor was asking us each what we thought our "style" was. It was amazing how many of us-who were totally into decor-could not put a specific name to our style. I found that I can talk myself into liking many different styles and I was stumped. Her advice to us was to buy up many decorating magazines and start flipping the pages. DO NOT think about it. Go with your first, gut feeling and if you like the picture don't stress the details-rip it out of the magazine. When you are done and look back at your stack of pictures, your style will become evident. And she was right. I find when I "pin" things over time to a particular board and then go back some time later, I can see my style emerge. 

Here are a few things that stuck out for me this time.


I do something similar already but I like this one better so I will need to see what I can do.


And this one is so pretty. I actually have that riser and a similar velvet pumpkin-not to mention empty frames...now just to find the space. Lol And, note to self, I need to get out there and cut the remaining hydrangeas before they're too far gone. The heat this summer has totally worn them down!


This is simple enough and a good idea for all of those velvet pumpkins I made and never know what to do with.


And, when this one flashed by for a moment I actually thought it was my mantle from last year.

I added the flowers when I made the small pumpkin flower arrangement that sits in the TV unit. I thought the flowers on the mantle would draw the two areas together a bit more. I think I might add just a few more drooping leaves to the mix this year.


And I'm kind of thinking both the new canvas and the small "oil" painting from HL will probably find their way out to the TV unit as well.



 It is really taking every bit of strength I have not to start dragging out my autumn decor. I'm thinking maybe I should FINALLY start to repaint my sunroom ceiling. By the time I finish that it will probably be more than time to start the swap out as ceiling painting is not a favorite of mine and I am sure I will drag it out. Lol

In any case, those are my thoughts for today. I like to start my decor planning like this because once it actually starts happening, I don't want to spend time deciding where things are going and what is going to change-it is always full steam ahead! Stay safe and stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment