decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, June 6, 2024

Serendipity

 I am back...and, when last I posted, I left you with this.


I had a few ideas for crafts to add to my next decor-sunflowers. I was actually all over the place with the stuff on the right so today I decided to go with the stuff on the left where I had a better idea of what I wanted because I had seen an inspiration on a blog. This was going to be another "free to me" craft as I had all of these supplies on hand for awhile-some of them for a very long while.

A number of years back I used the Looking Glass paint to spray inside colored Mason jars to give a mercury glass effect. One of the cans was only partially full but the other was brand new. So, I started by taking the glass out of the large frame and preparing to spray it. The first can I opened would no longer spray at all so I was down to the new one. I gave it an extra long shake and then tested it on a piece of paper and the soft spray just wasn't there. So, I shook it up again and still no soft spray. I am a pretty patient person when I really want something so I did that two more times with the same results. There was a whole lotta' shaking going on. It was at that point that I decided to just spray it on the glass and see what I got. The paint came out in a hard stream so full coverage was not happening but I did a once over and let that dry. And, as it did, it started to look very interesting to me. And so, when it was completely dry I sprayed again in the opposite direction to get all of the glass covered at least a bit and, much to my surprise, an antique glass effect was happening right before my eyes. I could NOT have been happier because I would always prefer that over just a mirrored effect! It's hard to see here but trust me, it's there.


Then I roughed up the black paint already on the one frame and painted the other frame with black chalk paint and after it had dried, sanded it off a bit.


I cut the pretty napkin to the area I wanted, put it behind the glass on the small frame, inserted the mirrored glass back into its frame and used some Gorilla Grip adhesive to put the two together. I'm actually sorry that so much of the mirror is covered.



And, after about 15 minutes it was ready for display. It is hard to take a picture straight into a mirror so this definitely looks better in person but I hope you get the idea. It was meant to be...serendipity! Now I'm trying to think of what else I can make into an antique mirror. The only problem would be if I didn't have enough paint and had to buy more. I'm pretty sure a fresh, new can wouldn't spray the same way as my oldie! Lol


And, I'm stuck right there. I'm not sure I am going to go ahead with the sunflower. My initial thought had been to use up some old wood pieces that I have to make a large sunflower and then use a spindle as a stem and put it into a wooden base. I thought it might look cute tied up with some soft ribbons and gauze. But then I wasn't sure where it would go so I thought maybe I would just make the sunflower. It could be stuck into a wreath or somewhere??? 

I wanted some kind of texture on the petals because my plan was to paint and "rust" up the center of the flower. I had seen a new technique the other day so I thought I would give it a try. I'm glad I just did it on one petal. It is kind of paper mache'd with Kraft paper that I painted Sunbeam color. I was going to then either hit it with antique wax or distressing ink but I'm not even sure I like it enough to go any further. I'm tabling the decision until tomorrow.




It is so hot outside but we actually have a bit of cloud cover right now so I am heading out to finally put down some mulch that I have had forever. I just got the hydrangea gardens weeded and I think I will mulch over there in hopes that maybe it will help hold in any moisture that it can. The hydrangeas are beautiful but the heat is definitely taking a lot out of them.

I'll let you know what I decide. Stay safe and stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment