decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, June 12, 2016

It Is What It Is

If you are a faithful reader of this blog, you know that I not only love decorating and holidays, I love crafting. There are really very few crafts that I have not tried over my life time. And, there are very few crafts that I have tried that I don't love. I JUST LOVE CRAFTING! And so, it really isn't a holiday for me if I can't find something to make and get my hands dirty. But, those kind of projects take some planning and then some shopping. And, since we don't live in the largest city ever, shopping can sometimes take pretty much a full day-seems like there is never just one store that carries everything needed and sometimes I just have to blatantly "fudge" a supply. And, with this reno hanging over my head, I just don't have the luxury of that kind of time right now.

I was getting antsy over the 4th of July so I found a project that just required an unpainted wooden number-everything else I already had on hand. And yesterday when I was pretty much just sitting waiting for the phone to ring, I decided to give it a whirl.

It was a total no-brainer project. Is it the greatest thing ever? Not by a long shot but at least I kept myself occupied while not leaving the earshot distance of the phone-which, by the way, rang many times but never for my granite!


This is pretty much all this simple craft needed in the line of supplies.


I painted the sides and back American flag red.


Then, I painted on a layer of Mod Podge, separated the napkin and glued on the patterned piece. I found it was easier to then let the whole thing dry and go back with my Exacto knife (with a new, sharp blade) and cut off the remnants. I tried to just use scissors but couldn't get into all of the little areas as closely as I wanted. I then used some ink squares and "inked" the edges and over the bumps from the napkin. I figured if I couldn't get rid of the bumps, I would emphasize them and make it look old and crinkled!


I finished it off by wrapping the base with some red twine. I wasn't sure where it would go but this dining room centerpiece suddenly looked very lonely...and then my sad little craft found just the perfect home.

I am still waiting to show you my bathroom reveal...but, alas, there is nothing new on that horizon just yet. Fingers now crossed for tomorrow. I am getting tired of sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring but I know as sure as I head out, they will be in my driveway wanting to install the granite! Hey, maybe I just hit on something! I might just give it a try tomorrow. Just can't go too far so I can get back quickly IF that call ever comes through! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment