decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, July 13, 2018

Summer "Daze"

So as life is wont to go, there are lulls and then, all at once, things begin to happen. This week has been one of those happening weeks!!

I have been waiting a long time for some kind of answer to my very debilitating eye issues and, it may finally be here. Out of the blue, I was contacted by my ophthalmologist's office and told I might be a candidate for a new procedure. After a consult, it was determined that I am and I have been scheduled for surgery the beginning of August. Yay! Fingers crossed! I'm trying not to get too excited because I have had every surgery and procedure that has come down the pike but this one may just do the trick!!

And then, when I was just about to doubt that it was ever going to happen, I got a call from my pool company and the work on the re-do of my pool is starting today. Of course, it starts with the draining of 38,000 gallons of water, so it will be awhile before the "fun" stuff starts but that is OK...we are moving forward and, as Martha says, that's a "good thing".

I have also been kept busy helping out with grand children summer schedules. While Mom is playing major catch-up after her long, "relaxing" trip to Europe ( as they also say "pay backs are heck...lol), the kids' summer activities continue and I am happy to do some dropping off, picking up and having them with me as needed. They are even becoming good little shopping buddies-especially Presley.

Yesterday I picked her up from her second activity of the day and she and I went grocery (and slime) shopping before getting the boys and bringing them all back to my house. It's actually fun to have the house full of kids and energy again...part time. Lol While the boys were entertaining themselves with XBox, Presley and I decided to try a slime recipe new to us- an edible one. We bought the supplies for both marshmallow and gummy bear but, today, marshmallow won out. We had a really fun time making it but I will say, if you are not up to seriously coating your hands with coconut oil (and hence, everything around you as well), this might not be the project for you. The kids did say it wasn't bad tasting but it definitely didn't have the "slime" factor that the others we have made have-this was a truly gooey mess. I did finally manage to contain it all in a bowl...not an easy task because it was SO sticky-and I sent it home with the kids. I'm anxious to hear if it got any more "play-able" over time. All of that aside, it is in the making that most of the fun is had and Presley and I had more than a few laughs as we each got more and more covered with this stuff. There are definitely a few things to do differently from the "normal" slime (which is a really clean craft in my opinion) so now I know and might be better prepared when we try the edible gummy bear slime.

Take note of the marshmallow on her sleeve and the coconut oil all over the table. I will say I expected a much harder clean-up...thought it would act like vegetable oil but it didn't. It dissolved so much easier. Guess that may be why it is healthier to use in your cooking. We also learned something else-Presley doesn't like coconut flavor AT ALL. It apparently evokes a gag reflect in  her so she was adamant that we not use it. I told her since it was a large part of the recipe we would get it and if she really couldn't tolerate it, we would use something else. Interesting fact #2-it doesn't smell or taste like coconut so she was good to go! See, this really is educational kind of play! At least for the old Nana!! Guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!




It only takes 3 ingredients and a minute in the microwave.


I'm trying hard to keep busy today but I just can't help going out and checking on the pool progress. I'm truly not sure what all that stuff is under those tarps but the water level is definitely dropping. Here is where we are right now:





And now I wait...for 38,00 gallons to slowly drain!! Can't wait to see next month's water bill after the refill!  Fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow so the real fun can start. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment