decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, July 7, 2018

It's NOT working!

I think I am a tiny bit earlier than usual this year, but I could not leave the 4th of July decor up another minute...mostly because I know the 4th is a summer holiday...and, have I told you lately, I am OVER summer!! I think I say this every year about now but this year, I REALLY mean it...this is one of the hottest and rainiest seasons we have EVER had.

That being said, the lawns and gardens that would normally be very heat stressed by now are looking green and lush. I wish that was enough to keep me from wishing away my life, but it's not!!

And so, I did the almost impossible and got all of my sunflower decor up and all of the 4th put away in just one day. Admittedly, I don't have anywhere near as much "stuff" for late summer decor as I do for a holiday but a lot of determination also lent a hand in this process.

In fact, at about 4:30 yesterday (Friday) when I would normally be ready to sit down, pour a glass of wine and put my feet up, I got a text. It was daughter #3 telling me that they were going to start an impromptu game of Michigan and the kids wanted me to join them. Now, this is an invite that is normally a no-brainer...but I asked for a rain check. At that point I was determined to get finished. All I had left was the seemingly endless trek of 4th decor piled in the sunroom out to the garage. Then, everything goes into their bins or back on shelves, bins get put up, car goes back in the garage and I am done.

I told Jen I estimated that the job would take about another hour but I must have really moved quickly because not 5 minutes after I had closed the garage door and come in for a few little left overs, the doorbell rang. There were my 3 youngest grand children at the door telling me they had come to help! I was so touched...and wishing I hadn't worked so fast. Lol But, now we could get out the chips and cards and we played a long and fierce game of Michigan rummy at my house. I looked a mess but my daughter had had a long day at work and the kids at play so none of us were needing to impress anyone any way!

This is why I LOVE that at least one of my children lives in town and another is not too far away! I LOVE the impromptu visits! As much fun as all of the "planned" days together are, it's the simple, little, not expected ones that seem to mean the most.What a fun day I had...almost fun enough to make me forget how much I am waiting for even the slightest hint of a new season!

And so, with that in mind, today I decided to get back to my Halloween project. Here is where the day started:


And, here is where I am 134 Publix plastic bags and 5 large garden leaf bags later...not to mention 9 glue sticks!



Now all that is left is to do a bit of trimming, adding the hangers and putting on some pretty bows. I had just enough ribbon left from last year to make the sample hat but, since I can't buy any more ribbon because it isn't even out in the stores just yet, I am OK leaving them at this stage...and I am moving along to a Thanksgiving hanger for my door. It's a toss-up between a Pilgrim's hat or a turkey. I found an idea for a whimsical turkey so I think I am leaning in that direction. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have enough burlap left but we shall see. If not, it will have to wait because I like the burlap from HL and they're closed on Sundays. The next time I post I will be sharing my late summer (sunflowers) decor. It does give me a bit of a glimpse of what is to come. Ahhhh! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment