decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, July 16, 2018

Lovely Memories

Every now and then, something comes along and floods your mind with beautiful, heartfelt memories! That happened yesterday when I was just tweaking little things in my summer decor so I could keep myself busy and inside so as not to get in the way of my pool reno.

I decided that the family room corner...which has always been a thorn in my side when it comes to decorating because it NO LONGER makes any sense but would be WAY too costly to change because the circuit box is located behind that door...needed some punch. When we first enclosed this once-garage to be our new family room, TVs were MUCH smaller and ours fit perfectly on this shelf. All of our furniture was facing in this direction so that the fireplace wall was the focal point...as well it should be. Maybe some day I will get my now, much larger TV mounted above the mantle and this wall will once again be the focal point but, until that happens, I am left with decorating this awkward space. The new placement of the chairs has helped but I still have issues with it.

In any case, I decided that this wood tray that has been on my kitchen desk for many, many years (I actually didn't even remember how many until I looked on the bottom) corralling my calendar and other items of importance might work in here. I did remember that it was a gift to me from a kindergartner that I taught many, many years ago. She had a lovely family and either her mom, dad or grandpa would walk her in and pick her up every day. I know it's hard for you to believe, but we did lots of talking on those visits. Lol Her mom and grandpa were also at every party, field trip, etc. They were truly the perfect family for a teacher to work with-always the first to volunteer for anything I needed.

And so, we had a wonderful year together and I was truly so sorry to see Lindsey move on to first grade although she had made so many strides. Things did not come easily to her and we all worked hard together to see her succeed...and succeed she did!


My heart truly melted when I turned over this tray and was reminded of these sweet words. Her Grandpa was very special and he and I hit it off from day one. He is no longer with us but I pray he is looking down today and seeing just how such a simple gesture on his part and those sweet words and sentiments are making not only my face but my heart smile today! And wow!! Lindsey would be 31 now! I wish I knew where she was and what she is doing. She had the gentlest soul so I'm sure it is only good things!



Teaching may not make one rich in dollars but it sure does make one "rich" in so many other ways! Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment