decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Bringing Out the Big Guns!

Yes, autumn got to me yet again! Yesterday I made another batch of the baked pumpkin donut holes and delivered them all-well, almost...always need to taste one or two for quality assurance-to my son-in-law as an extra birthday treat. Of course, that got me thinking about something pumpkin today so I checked my trusty Pinterest Autumn Recipe file and came up with a Pumpkin Crumb Cake.
Wish I had read the recipe a little more carefully instead of just scanning the list of ingredients! This recipe called for a food processor as well as my KitchenAid, a sifter, a nut chopper and many separate bowls. I am not a lazy baker but in the end, this seemed like a LOT of dirty pots and bowls for just a coffee cake-but, I digress.


Part of the topping got processed-the rest went into a bowl. Things got sifted, mixed, added, etc. and we had a cake in a 9"X9" pan.


It was good but not as good as the donuts that get rolled in melted butter and then a cinnamon sugar mixture. This would have been so much better with a large dollop of real whipped cream but you know what I always say, "less is more". Oh yeah, right, that isn't me who says that. I am a more is more kind of gal but just didn't feel like making a weekend trip to Publix so we will cope.

Around here, our latest mantra is "mum's the word". Seems as if I don't mind making trips to our local WalMart for mums-20 small ones and 4 large pots so far. Hubby and I have a great rhythm to putting them down-I say where, he digs the hole, I add Osmacote , wiggle the roots & stick in the plant and then he refills the hole- and our daily afternoon rain showers-and yes, we are STILL getting what is usually called our summer rain pattern-are giving them a nice start so they are already growing in and filling out!



And yes, I know I really should trim those pentas so they aren't so "leggy" but every time I think about doing it, I happen to look out the window first and see one or two beautiful hummingbirds and I decide it can wait just a bit longer!

While others in our family are off for the holiday weekend, we are sticking close to home. We aren't much for holiday crowds or traffic so we are celebrating right here. Hope everyone is enjoying a safe holiday weekend. We will be back to the real world next week. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment