decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Oh Happy Day!


I FINALLY have a day that has NO plans other than what I really want to do...and that is craft...although, lately, I have been having an urge to clean out and organize our garage!! What could possibly be wrong with me??!!?

So once the 4th of July vintage flag holders were put together, it was just a matter of painting.


First, I painted them solid white. After the acrylic paint just sort of soaked into the wood, I bought some chalk paint and, because it is thicker, I liked the coverage that I got.



Then, I painted two opposite sides blue.


Then, I added red stripes to the two remaining sides. I was going to tape these off so that my lines were straight but because this is a very primitive, shabby, vintage project, actually, the more rustic the better.


Next, I came back and stenciled a star onto the blue fields.

Then, when all of the paint was dry, I did a lot of sanding to give it a true aged feel.



I thought about using some stain or watered down brown paint to antique the holders but decided against it...I like the true red, white and blue look.

All that was left was the addition of the flag. I used an 8"X10" flag and cut the dowel down a bit.

I love the way they turned out. Can't wait to start my 4th of July decorating and to give these as gifts. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment