decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Withdrawal!

I admit it! I go through withdrawal every year at about this time! I really dislike taking down my Halloween decorations. I just love all of the Halloween vignettes, traditions, colors, food, crafts...you name it and if it is Halloween, I love it!. I am the strange person standing in the store aisles hyperventilating at anything orange and black! I don't really know why, but I will own it!!

That being said, October is NEVER long enough for me! It is always jam-packed and this year found it even more so. So, once I have finally made the leap and start to take things down, I do look forward to the serenity of November. For many reasons, I kept things pretty simple this year and I am once again enjoying the colors and scents of autumn! In fact, the scents are actually prevailing right now as the cool morning and promise of a quiet day actually got me motivated to do some cooking and baking - more on that later. First, let me welcome you into my Thanksgiving living room.



Still loving those big, clunky candle holders - and, of course, that beautiful PB lantern!




It seems I have been buying old jugs, crocks and bottles for many years. Seems like autumn is the only time I think of them and drag them all out once again.






The coffee table is crazy "busy" but I love everything on it even though this picture is not very good.


I love the cloche on the rusty urn. It has a vintage Thanksgiving card tied onto some old book pages with twine and is nestled in acorns and some fall leaves. I also like the French flower pot full of acorns and mini pumpkins and sitting on an old book.


I found this "classy" turkey in the gift shop of a tearoom in Tampa while we were waiting to enter a "witch's tea" many years ago. He is made of an iridescent taffeta and has tail feathers made of velvet autumn leaves and has lots of drop crystals as embellishment.





This pillow reminds me of just how blessed I am. I am reminding myself to take time to smell the "pumpkins" at this time of year!

And, speaking of smelling the scents of the season, apple and cinnamon are wafting through our house as I type. Daughter #3 and her family picked a lot of apples on their recent trip to the mountains, so I decided to try a new apple cake recipe that I found on Pinterest.




And as long as I was in the cooking mood, I decided to whip up a pot of one of our favorites, "Hearty Barley and Lentil" soup. This soup also has potatoes, elbow macaroni, carrots, celery, zucchini and tomatoes so "hearty" is a bit of an understatement. I have never made this soup that I have not had to at least double the vegetable stock called for as there are so many things in this soup just soaking up all of the liquid. I bought a fresh loaf of Ciabatta bread and can hardly wait for dinner!



I am spending my quiet days catching up on all sorts of to-dos on my list but have more Thanksgiving to share. Stay tuned.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment