decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, September 10, 2012

Taking Time to Smell ......

...anything that is still blooming this late in the season-after the intense heat of summer and torrential downpours of Isaac!



Everything still blooming that got put in at the beginning of the season is really overgrown by now but I really have difficulty cutting them down as we saw 3 hummingbirds in the above garden the other day and the pentas in the top photo attract dozens of butterflies-literally! They put on such a beautiful show in late afternoon that I can't quite bring myself to do the pruning that is long over due!


This was the first pot of mums I found this year and I couldn't wait to get them home and potted. Since this picture, they have all opened up in bloom and are just gorgeous!


I have been adding pops of orange and gold all around the yard. For some reason I am not having trouble this year with the autumn colors intermingling with the holdovers from summer and spring. I still have lots of blooms left to cut for big bouquets and I love that!


This is my absolute favorite place first thing in the morning and late in the afternoon. Even though we live smack dab in the middle of the city (albeit a small city ), with 17 undeveloped acres behind us, it is incredibly quiet-only the whistle of the trains going through town will break the silence most days and I kind of like that-and sitting out here listening to the sounds of the 2 closest fountains, birds and owls and watching the antics of the birds, butterflies and squirrels is sheer paradise-as long as my eye doesn't travel to a newly grown weed. When that happens, I find myself down on my hands and knees and one weed always leads to another but I don't even mind that. Nature is beautiful and free for the taking-well, free as long as I stay away from my favorite nurseries but that is another story.

Hope a touch of autumn has come to you wherever you live and you are taking time to smell the....mums? Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment