decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Dem Bones, Dem Bones....




Ever since I saw the above picture on Pinterest, I knew I would be doing something like this this year. Since I didn't want to do it in my "real" fireplace-as I love fires during the Halloween season-I decided to do it in a faux fireplace that I keep in the sun room right now.


I bought this fireplace many, many years ago before we added our large family room, fireplace and hearth. It started out in the living room then went to the bedroom and has now found a home here. It has authentic looking ceramic logs that sit in a real log holder and is fueled with jet fuel in cans. It has real flames and gives off some heat. I very rarely use the real flames as we almost always have a fire going in the family room during fall and winter but I do light the candles in this fireplace candle holder often when I am sitting in the sun room.

I also like this piece because of the shelf space it has. Always need room for more frames with those precious little faces or more holiday merchandising.

In any case, I decided this would be the perfect spot for my new vignette. I have been on the lookout for an inexpensive bag of bones and until today, I was having no luck! Don't know if it was just my local Wal-Marts, but mine were LATE on putting out Halloween. I went to Wal-Mart this morning to pick up more of their beautiful fresh mums when I finally spied the Halloween displays. I was ecstatic to see the bag of bones-just what I wanted! Can't wait to scatter these in the fireplace with lots of candles. May have to try out some of those battery candles in this area so we don't have plastic bones going up in flames!

 
While there, I also picked up these skeleton plates and napkins-they spoke to me. And then, I spied the candles. I love the look of this old fashioned candle holder nestled in vignettes for Halloween. I actually have a few but these caught my eye. They are battery operated LED lights and they are on timers if you wish. You simply tighten the bulb and the light comes on and stays on for 5 hours and then goes off and stays off for 19 hours. This will be perfect during parties or if you have guests and don't want to bother going around turning off candles. If you only want them lit for a short time, you simply unscrew the bulb and it shuts off. These little gems were only 3.97 so I'm a bit dubious about their quality but they look cute just the way they are even if they don't work as promised so I grabbed 2. If they do work as promised, I think I will head back for more.

It is definitely getting closer. Haven't decide when I will start decorating but it will be soon. Can't wait. Stay tuned

P.S. This is my first post since Blogher changed their posting format so I guess this may serve as a bit of a test. So far I have had only a few minor glitches so we will see what this looks like when I publish it-if I can figure out how to do that. I don't like change so we will see! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment