decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

All Sorts of Things I've Learned

I guess this post actually started many years ago when we wanted new chairs for our dining room table. Parsons chairs were all the rage and I had my heart set on finding just the right ones. We found some pretty cream colored chairs with a rolled back and they were just what I wanted. They were made out of a new "fabric" called bonded leather. I now know that I did not ask enough questions. I did ask what bonded leather meant and I was told that it was leather bonded on to a fabric backing. Apparently the leather could be more thinly sliced so, hence, the price wasn't as high as it could have been-although, I will say, these were not inexpensive chairs by any means. We also chose an additional charge for Scotch Guarding so stains wouldn't soak into the "leather".

Now, all of that could very well be true. There was no Google back then and I accepted the explanation. In fact, that may be totally true. What I didn't expect was that the leather would ever come "unbonded" just from normal wear...but it did. All of a sudden...on most of the chairs. It was like someone shouted "unbond now" and they all did! One day they were fine and the next day there were huge bubbles and peeling happening.

Now I am kind of a "I can find a way" kind of gal so I got out my fabric glue and was pretty sure I could re-bond these things...I was wrong. And, each time we sat on the chairs, they got worse and my eyes just kept going to the bubbles.

Back in the day, I would have (and actually have) made covers for the chairs. But, I was just beginning to think about maybe doing that when a Target ad came into my e-mail box. It was serendipity. There for the asking were SureFit linen look chair covers for Parson chairs. They had short skirts which were perfect and I couldn't hurry fast enough to get them ordered and get them here.

Now getting them here is a whole other story. I missed the order cut-off by 7 minutes so my order would be delayed until the next day...but that was fine. They were two day delivery so I would now get them on Friday. Wrong. The next thing I have come to learn is that 2 day delivery doesn't mean two day delivery. It might mean two days for UPS to make the label and begin shipment, then two days for it to travel to their next facility and then two days for it to literally sit here in Ocala until they delivered it to the post office for the post office to then get it to my house in two more days. Good thing they weren't a case of life or death. Lol

When the box finally arrived last night, it was a mess. Luckily, the covers are made out of fabric or the order would probably be going back. The box had obviously been broken open because most of the Target tape was ripped off and it was re-taped.

In any case, they were here and I couldn't wait to get them on the chairs. The description said they were relaxed fit and the picture (albeit small) seemed to verify that...but, they aren't as relaxed as I thought and the rolled top on my chairs are definitely pulling a bit. I have come up with two possible solutions but want to run them by my very sewing talented sister-in-law before I decide what to do. I'm also thinking that as we sit on them the fairly loosely woven linen might stretch a bit and all will be well.

In any case, my eyes are no longer going to the bubbles. I think we will be fine. Here's a bit of a sneak peak. They will eventually need to be ironed but I'm waiting to see what else will need to be done before I start that.


This is the problem area. If they don't stretch out a bit, I'm thinking I can either rip out the seam and re-stitch at a different angle or, possibly just whip stitch this part down so it isn't bulging as much.


I do love the fabric...and how perfectly it matches the linen bunny runner.




So this is how they will stay for now. Once I get the tops figured out, I might cut a bit off of those ties. I think I would rather have a nice square knot instead of the bows...we shall see. I am done putting Easter up...just a bit of St. Pat's to still put away and I should be ready to start some picture taking Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment