decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, August 27, 2018

"Mum" is the Word!

To me, it does not really feel like autumn is on its way until the fresh mums begin appearing in garden centers! I know I can use other flowers in autumn colors, but somehow it is just not the same! I think it may go back to me remembering the wonderful chrysanthemum corsages with the school letters done in pipe cleaners that we wore to homecoming games...anyone else old enough to remember them? I know I have more but in the thousands and thousands of photos that I have, this is what I could lay my hands on quickly!

My girls are always asking me why I hold on to all of my old stuff...this is why! Just this one picture and the remnants from two of my corsages-the green M for Dan McCarty H.S. in Ft. Pierce, FL and the blue UF from our first homecoming game as students at the University of Florida.

In this picture, I am a bit of a mix-up. It was our high school homecoming in Ft. Pierce-hence the M corsage but we were returning as UF students-hence the orange and blue nod. And yes, that is how we dressed for homecoming games way back when!! Lol



The last time I ran by the garden center, this was the only size and color mum that had come in. I just grabbed one as I am more of a fan of the orange, rust and deep burgundy colors-and they were coming soon- but I am still loving having this in my line of sight as I sit and watch TV in the evenings! As much as I love the black iron PB candle holder that was here, this rusty old urn filled with that just beginning to bloom mum takes my breath away!



You can actually see how much the mum has opened in the picture below that was taken just a day or two later! The thing that I love about the mums I buy this time of year and have either in the house or in planters is that once they have finished their blooming, I can put them in the ground and they will be back again soon! My front garden is still full of plants that have been producing blooms all summer long thanks to our colder than normal winter and wetter than normal summer-I guess??!


I will be out and about tomorrow so I am hoping I will find lots more to fill all of planters waiting as eagerly for fall as I am! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment