decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Ahhhh Autumn

We've seen the living room and kitchen all done up in their autumn splendor. Let's move on to the dining room with a quick peek at the sunroom as well.


Looks like I have "evolved" into a bit of a permanent vignette here in this niche. It has been no secret that, as much as I always wanted shelves added to the niche, once that happened, I had trouble decorating the area. The slatted basket at the top has pretty much stayed on the top shelf all year and just kind of lends itself to something seasonal flowing out of it. The tobacco basket stays on shelf #2. Sometimes it has things on either side but this time it has another of my large PB candles in front of it. The candle begins to flicker at dusk and adds a beautiful glow to this often forgotten corner of the house. And, I am always happy when I can find something to fill my dough bowl and a place for it to happily settle in. This still might not be my favorite place in the house but, I am OK with it right now. I actually thought of draping some soft, light colored greens or hydrangeas out of the bowl from between the pumpkins but ultimately decided to keep it simple...less to dust which is always a good thing!



I am so happy I found a usable home for the old porch balustrade. I always used it in the living room on the bleached chest but once I bought the 2 new lamps, this beauty got displaced. And, because it is so large, it was hard to find another perfect spot for it. This year, I simply left out one of my olive jars and used the piece here as a candle holder. I know it won't be here when Halloween comes out, but I'm hoping it can make a return not only for Thanksgiving but for Christmas as well!



I still adore the water colored pillows I got from PB a few years ago. I keep hoping they will bring back more but this year's fall, indoor collection is mostly all  appliqued or gilded-or, outdoor pillows and not pillow covered. It is not impossible to take these pillows apart and make them into covers but it is a chore and not one I'm ready to happily do right now. And so, I will survive with the ones that I have.
 

This is the shelving above the "fireplace" in my dining room. This is the fireplace I bought many, many years ago to put in our living room before we added the family room with real fireplace. It uses canned fuel so it burns with real flame but, since I have the real one now, this is really just used for show and decorating purposes. It fills this wall in the ding room perfectly and I'm not sure what would work there instead-but, I might be close to finding out! This spot is impossible for me to decorate. The shelves are increasingly narrower in depth as they go up so I am very limited on what I can put where...and, somehow it never looks balanced to me. I just might have to get a designer's perspective on this-know any good ones? Lol In any case, here is where I am...definitely not a favorite. I feel like maybe some leaves stuck in and around might help but again, I am going for "less" these days so we shall see!


I only took pictures of this end of the sunroom because, honestly, except for some orange striped pillows on the couch, the rest of the room was pretty much left alone. Don't know if I ran out of time or energy first!




My spot awaits and my coffee is getting cold so I am off to do a bit more magazine perusing before I am off for an appointment and then dinner at daughter #3's house. This has been a busy week but I am still making time to get in the pool each afternoon. After it was out of use for so long, I feel like I need to enjoy it as much as I can before summer (the summer that I have been wishing away but have now made an ammendment-lol) really is gone. Summer outside-autumn inside. I truly do have the best of both worlds! Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment