decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, August 26, 2018

It's All About the Family....

...the family room that is. Welcome to my favorite room. I don't like to show favoritism because I truly love every square inch of our house, but this is the room where I spend a good bit of my time. It is cozy, warm and comforting. And, even though I was a bit skeptical as to how I would like the re-do now that we are into the "warm" color months, I still love it. In fact, I think everything pops even more. As much as I loved the old color of the barn boards, I really like the freshness that the room now has. It definitely gave it the update it so needed.

As you all probably know, I am chomping at the bit to see a fire in that fireplace but, until then, I shall just continue to dream about it! Once the lights are lit on the mantle and all of the candles are glowing, this room just welcomes me in with open arms.


You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! When my daughter suggested moving these two chairs from the places they have been for many, many years, I just wasn't too sure. But, we tried it and I LOVE it. Wish I had done it sooner. It not only makes both chairs TV watching friendly now but it is a great arrangement for sitting and gabbing with someone...and, believe me, a lot of sitting and gabbing takes place in this house!




I had to make some changes to my autumn mantle now that I have committed to leaving the two PB lanterns where they are. Since I also wasn't budging on where the sign would go, I really didn't have anywhere the "merchandising" area left that I usually do. Since I love the pumpkin I got down at William's Lunch on Limoge in Dade City many years ago (and paid way too much for so it needs to see some use to justify its cost-lol) and the sign points to the pumpkin patch, it was also a no brainer. I can't say that I'm entirely enamored with the crock of orange berries sitting on the hearth-and they will have to get moved if it ever gets "fire" weather-but I do love the pop of color down there and then around on either side so one's eyes have places to travel.




I don't know if I have ever photographed this side of the room before as it really isn't anything special but it is my haven and my wonderful vantage point to see all of the rest of the room. This chair and a half is huge and, right now, there is really no other place in the room that it can go without totally throwing off the balance. If I ever decide to wall mount the TV over the fireplace, it could be moved but that would mean giving up so much of my decorating real estate so I'm still not sold on that idea. Who knows, maybe some day?! In any case, it is where I curl up to watch TV, read or catch up with friends and it has seen many grand children all squeezed on there with me as we read books, watched a movie or just shared thoughts!


I think I've shown you this pillow before. Grand daughter #1 gave it to me for Christmas. I enjoy playing with the sequins to create designs but, it now seems to have become a little message board to me from any of the grand kids. It seems like every time one of them visits, I have a new message. This time Presley put my initials...and, somehow, neither of her brothers has come behind her to create havoc! It's always fun to see what comes next...and, they are all way more patient than I as flipping those sequins just where you want them is not always an easy task!


So, the kids are back in school and everyone seems happy with how things are going. I got to have dinner at daughter #3's house the other day and do a quick facsimile of our traditional back-to-school parties of years past. It was anything but traditional as the kids and their dad(coach) came in and out and grabbed a bite as they could before heading off to football practices but, I did get a bit of one-on-one time with each of them as their practice times vary so I got to hear all of the scoop!

And, once school is back, can the official start of football season be far behind? We had the Jamboree yesterday and all I can say is thank goodness a storm was working its way in for last night because we did have a constant breeze and the sun at our backs for both games. Of course, we also had a 10 o'clock game and a 3:10 game so a bit of down time in between. Presley came with me and we did some shopping, ate lunch and tried to store up as much A/C as we could before we headed back. As hot as it can get, it is still a lovely way for families to spend a day together!





I'm using today to get caught up on all of those things I left dangling last week. We'll see how far I get before I get thrown off track yet again. Now that I'm retired, I'm getting lots better at saying "well, there's always tomorrow"! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment