decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, June 23, 2018

I Can Almost Feel The Autumn Air

Absolutely NO surprise that this one is my FAVORITE!!


I thought I would be hitting the ground running this morning to start painting the autumn leaf door hanger but, I had a few little chores to get done around the house and while I was out front doing some watering, my neighbors walked up and, no surprise, we talked for quite awhile! And so I got a bit of a later start than I anticipated but I am now ready to go!


I got the full coat of orange on but before it got too dry, I decided to come back and swipe in a few more colors. I tried to do a play on "dry brushing" but since this is on such a textured surface, that technique is almost impossible.


I swiped it as lightly as I could with the bright yellow and mustard and then went back over it all kind of scrubbing it together with my stiff bristled brush as I went.


The last thing I did was to take a very thin brush and drag in some veins. Again, this is the part of painting on burlap that just can't be precise-or at least I haven't found a way to do that. The paint and the brush tip pretty much go where they want as you lay them down and begin to pull. This is the part of the process where I could go on and on all day but I think it is time to know when to stop before it is a muddled mess.

It is also the part of the process where I realized that the more whimsical, polka dotted, striped kind of hangers are easier to accomplish than something that is supposed to look a little more realistic. Of course, I could have made a polka dotted or brightly striped leaf but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to do it!

Now, I am once again waiting for paint to dry. As soon as it gets even somewhat touchable, I will hang it so air can hit both sides and that speeds up the drying process a lot.


Once it was dry, I hot glued it shut and stuffed it with the Publix bags. Then I twisted up some thin copper to make a thicker piece for the hanger.

The autumn ribbon wasn't on sale at HL when I was there and I was already using my coupon for the sunflower ribbon so I decided to wait knowing ribbon will probably be on sale next week-I truly believe that half of that store is on sale every other week so I never buy anything if it is not on sale or with a coupon. Nor did I really expect to have this door hanger done already...but I should have known me! Once the autumn colors are in my house, there is no stopping me.

And so, when I finished the painting and stuffing of the leaf today, I was prepared (kind of) to wait until next week to finish it. But, just by chance, I opened my ribbon drawer and what do I see but a tan and orange plaid bow that I remember being on a gift from daughter #3 and then another bow of just the plaid. I may or may not have had to jerry rig that stuff a bit but, since I always attach the bows with a large dollop of hot glue, many unsightly ends can be shoved under and glued down and no one is the wiser-until now! Lol


I think I may have seen an acorn floral pick at HL when I was there the other day. If so, I may pick one up to stick into the bow-otherwise, I am ready for my next two decor themes-sunflowers and autumn leaves...on to Halloween!! Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment