decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, March 1, 2018

It's No Blarney...

I have been outside the last 4 days...4 FULL days...from sun up to sunset! I have NEVER been so tired or so sore. Every bone in my body aches and I can barely stand upright...and yet, I am super proud of myself. I looked my outdoor spring cleaning right in the eyes and dared it to bring it on. And so it did!

But in the end, I prevailed! I brought my little friend back and, luckily still had some of my deck finish /stain left...and that is where I started!



I got everything off of the deck, cleaned it and then re-stained it. While it was drying, I got all of the furniture touched up. Anything that didn't need painting certainly needed washing because the pollen is heavy this year. After all of that, I continued on to the brick sidewalks and brick and stone patios. I had already done much of the trimming of dead branches, etc. but the weeds on the "point" were a whole other story. I filled 3 garbage cans full of the things. I am trying to stay ahead of the weeds by doing a daily walk around and pulling them as they appear but, with 3/4 of an acre, that is just sometimes hard to do and occasionally, they do get the better of me.

All of that aside, I LOVE every minute spent in my yard. I can continue to find things that need doing and I don't mind at all. But, as the outside was getting better and better, the inside was feeling some pain. And so, I will stay in today and tackle some of that. But first, let me show you the family room in pictures that were taken before the "dust settled". Lol


I'm still using those wooden frame stands that I made many years back - mostly with vintage postcards of the holiday.


I am also still loving all of the Luminara Faux flicker candles. It has become easier to find them in red and off white but the 3 green ones that I found at B&N (which doesn't seem to be carrying them any more) are the only ones I can find. I am continuing to look because if I can just get enough of both the red and green, I can pretty much make it through all of the holidays - yikes, I forgot about autumn. I don't have any in orange. Keeping my fingers crossed PB, Ballard or someone will come up with them before September. They really are amazing...and with my forgetfulness these days, I really feel safer having these beauties lit all around the house than the real thing. Not to mention, I have them all programmed to come on at dusk...voila, the house is bathed in ambiance and I haven't lifted the first finger. Lol (Sorry - this one was on my phone - not great)






I'm not sure why I keep hanging this banner. I have stopped using many of the ones that I made when they first became a trend but for some reason, this one wins the test of time every year - I think it could just be the old maps and script. I found this download somewhere many years ago and it "spoke" to me. The shamrocks are 3-D and it was really simple to make. I've actually got a bee in my bonnet to make a burlap door hanger. That seems to be a trend right now on Pinterest and something I have actually never tried. I thought it might be fun to do with the kids, but time is running short and then they will be on their way to Utah for spring break so, maybe an Easter craft instead.
 


Gotta love a totally free craft. I made this last year by simply downloading and printing a shamrock image on an old dictionary page (a dictionary that I bought at Dollar Tree just for crafting purposes). Again, there's something about script!


So that is this year's family room. Before I leave, I thought I would show you a few pictures I took just a little while ago while I was enjoying a second cup of coffee out back. As you can see, everything is back in place, chaises have clean and new cushions, old plants have been put in the ground and new sprouts are springing up everywhere. It is hard not to rush to the store and buy more beautiful color to fill in those empty spots but I am trying to wait. Almost everything frozen off was perennial and I am already seeing new little leaves starting to come. I need to be patient, I need to be patient...!






Some color is returning on its own...


...and some others I have added.



Of course, the leaves are still coming down and now those pine "squiggly" things are falling too. The pollen also continues to cover everything but a nice spring shower will fix all of that. Our weather has been picture perfect. It has been a bit warmer than usual but we have had a lovely breeze, so no problem working outside at all. And, my pansies will be thrilled because our night time temperatures are supposed to take quite a drop this weekend but our days will be around 70-72 degrees!!! If only we could freeze that perfection for awhile! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment