decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, August 23, 2013

Cause I Can...

Not sure why, but we are heading into the dining room today. Not my usual path, but hey, I like to mix it up now and then. Plus, I want to see if YOU notice anything as my husband, who has lived in this house every bit as long as I have, has yet to notice-or at least mention-the change!!


I took this off center picture to see if you notice anything missing. When last we saw this wall, it looked like this...





Well, sort of. I actually had to go back to Dec. 2012 to find a picture of what used to be here and in this case, it isn't even a full picture which kind of reaffirms to me that I never really liked the way this area looked. I had an antique, wrought iron tea cart next to the hutch-in front of the side light window. It would have been great if I had used it for my original purpose-which was to hold extra food when we had large groups around the dining table. But, I only actually used it that way a few times. Instead, I used it as one more "merchandising" surface and it was then too much trouble to clear it to actually use it.

And so, I somehow decided to move it. Right now, it is in the gazebo-not sure where it will end up! I wish I could have that side light window removed. Way back when...this was a set of French doors leading to a patio and the extra light was welcome. Over the years, this area changed in many ways and I finally removed the French doors after we had the room enclosed in windows and climate control. If I were just a little more sure that I wouldn't have the roof fall in, I would try to deconstruct that window myself-we shall see.

Anyhow, I think the room looks so much larger now even if I have lost a decorating area. I know I will miss it come Halloween!!



See those four mercury glass pumpkins? Somewhere in this house, I have more of them...I just can't find them. They are some of the treasures I found last year at Kohls after the season and I remember they were crazy cheap. I knew I would do something with them. At least one of the items MIA is a large pumpkin. I vividly remember buying it on my first trip. Don't know where that bag is hiding. Then, several weeks later, I was back at Kohls and found these guys marked down even further and bought the last four. I have searched high and low and just can't even imagine where I stashed them-probably somewhere obtuse just to get them out of sight. Does this mean I have too much stuff?





I'm happy to be using my rusty candelabra once again-even if it is WAY more rusty now. I found this candelabra many, many years ago in a gourmet food and candy shop in downtown Ocala. I just fell in love with it-probably just because it was so rustic. It was really kind of expensive but I have learned that if I really love something-and just can't stop thinking about it-it is probably best to just give in to the impulse. If I remember correctly, hubby actually was the one who gave in and bought this for me as an anniversary gift. I also just remembered that it was decorated with grape vines and bunches of grapes-very lushly decorated! Over the years, the faux leaves and grapes got tired looking and one by one I stripped them off until I had a plain candelabra. Then, I just kind of got tired of it and it went outside to the new patio. Just recently, I focused on it once again and brought it back in. For this vignette, it was a simple fix to tie on some leaves I had lying around. It gave the vignette just the height and "odd number" that was needed to please the eye-really funny how that works but odd numbers always look better-try it. It works.
 



As always, when I look at these pictures, I see some tweaking to be done. All in good time. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment