decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

"I'm Seeing Red"....

....and white and blue. I am so NOT a blue kind of gal but for this holiday only, I love the crisp look of red, white and blue. It is kind of hard to work it into my home's regular decor since I am not a fan, but somehow, for just this one month or so, I can block out other things and relish my holiday colors!

So, we are moving on to the family room. A lot of what you see will be familiar to you but if it ain't broke...










The fireplace is definitely the focal point of this room-always-no matter what season or holiday. I am happy that my new sconces can now hold candles of the colors of the decor instead of "reading" kind of Mediterranean as the old ones did. I added the "fire cracker" that I made a few years ago to this vignette instead of the LR but, other than that, the mantle is pretty much the same. Still loving the wooden flag that I made a few years back as well.







I found another opportunity to use my beloved typewriter in my holiday decorating once again. Last year I had downloaded and printed a copy of the Declaration of Independence onto parchment paper. I know I used it somewhere in my decor, but, quite frankly, I can't remember where. So when I came upon it this year, I tucked it in the "basket of vintage" by the front door. And then when I needed something for the FR window, I thought of the typewriter and knew the parchment would look good peeking out of its top. Just now thought about the fact that the Declaration is hand written, but I will call it "poetic license"-sort of. Hey, it's my house-I can do what I want!!


I just picked up these lights yesterday. They are LED and give off the greatest glow at night. I tried hard to capture that for you with every setting my camera has, but since it is daytime, this is the best I could do. I love the feel something this simple can do to change a regular room into one where you know there will soon be a celebration. I think I will be home most of today. Heading off to put on all of my 4th lighting, grab my book and another cup of coffee and just enjoy the rainy day we are supposed to have. More rooms to come. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment