decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, March 27, 2020

Yay!!!

I must admit that even with ALL of the things I could be doing to stay busy these days, I still have a hard time diving into something if it is not what I want to do. I WANT to be outside but I am just beginning to get over the cough and sore throat I have had since the pressure cleaning - which, I must say, might need to be redone in some spots because of all of the mess still coming out of the trees this year and settling back onto the decking and drives...but, I digress.

And so, as much as I am enjoying Netfilx and rewatching some of my favorite series or reading books that have been on the stack for much too long, I still can't seem to be content without a craft project. And, even with ALL of the craft supplies I have on hand, I don't have a lot of the things that I am wanting for spring ideas.

And so, I found myself wishing I could come up with something like my burlap door hangers where I could do a different one for each holiday/season. And then, as I was moving things around for Easter, it dawned on me. I could make a set of the painted books for each holiday. I have already made Home Sweet Home, Happy St. Patrick's Day, and Happy Easter...that leaves something for 4th of July, spring, summer, autumn, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentine's Day. I have already started looking at Pinterest and there are so many ideas.

And then, when I realized that that wouldn't keep me busy for too, too long even if I limited myself to one a day, I did something I hardly ever do...I got online and ordered a big ol' bucket of wood beads. I decided I would make a wood bead garland to go with each set of books. And, boy am I glad I didn't donate all of the hundreds of books we had...just saying!

And so for today, I am starting on the 4th of July.

I usually use an Exacto knife to run along the inside of the spine on the book. I start in the front and pull as much as I can towards the back. Then it is a simple matter of a quick cut along the back of the book and the cover comes off. You can paint the books with the covers on but I like the more rustic look without them. I have always used chalk paint for the book stacks. It goes on so nicely without over-wetting the paper and dries pretty quickly.


I prefer the stamps that peel off and are put onto a clear, acrylic block. That way, when you put the ink on and go to stamp, you can see exactly where the image will be. I used regular rubber stamps on the first set I did because I liked the font but they were so much harder to get even...not to mention the overage of ink that gets on the edges and smears on the book.

I thought I could print the whole word at once with these stamps - and, if I was stamping on a smooth surface, I could - but I soon learned that with the "shabbiness that I like so much on the spines comes a lot of uneveness and it is almost impossible to get a good impression of all of the letters when doing it that way. For me, it was just easier to do one letter at a time.



Because the letter stamps are so small and need to be peeled off of the acrylic block, ink on my fingers is almost impossible to avoid and since I don't want to transfer that on to my pristinely painted book, I keep a lot of Lysol wipes handy to clean off my fingers and also to lay the used stamps down on. I put them ink side down and give them a little press when I do it and it makes their clean-up almost done.


Since I really have no pre-conceived idea where these are going to go or how they will be decorated, I decided to put a piece of themed scrapbook paper on the top for now. I thought I had starred paper - which I think I will still look for when I can get out again - but for now, I went with the plaid.


I used a smidge of distress ink just to "shabby" it up a bit.


I tied it up with red, white and blue twine and it will probably be OK just like this because I may end up tucking in a small American flag or sitting something "patriotic" on top of it. But, just for now...


I went into my 4th of July stash and grabbed this flag hang tag. It just needed a little something...until it needs a little something else. Lol


I just got word that the wooden beads will arrive on Monday so this book stack will soon have a bead garland joining it. Until then, I think I will move along to my "spring" stack. Stay safe and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment