decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Know When to Hold 'Em

Know when to fold 'em...how many times have I said that? And, more often than not, I can do that. But, on this particular day, I could not.

The other day-when things were still safe-my youngest grand daughter was here and ultimately disappeared to where she usually does-my craft room. She loves to find her way in there and let her imagination go to town. On that particular day, she pulled out my pastels and did a few bunny pictures. This lop-ear is my favorite. BTW, it will get framed in a much cuter way when we can get out and about again.


In these days of trying to stay busy - and indoors - I remembered how much I used to love working with pastels. I have used them a lot over the years for crafty things but haven't done any actual drawing with them since my art classes way back in college. I remember enjoying that so much. I actually think I still have some of those drawings stashed away somewhere. And so, I grabbed a little piece of scrap wood and decided I would have a go at a bunny.

Let's just say it's too bad Presley couldn't be here today to give her old Nana a few pointers. I have apparently forgotten everything I ever learned although, I will say, I did enjoy the process. That is probably why I forgot to take pictures after the initial painting of the wood. It was kind of like painting...once I got going, I never thought about anything else until I was done.



I must say, I wish I still had my oil pastels. I like the way they blend so much better and you can keep adding highlights. With the regular pastels - which are basically fancy chalk, once you add so much and try to blend, you kind of just get a washed out, muddy mess. Hence, the title of this post. I should have "held 'em" just a few strokes earlier. Lol

In any case, I decided to add a few flowers that I had in my stash and here she is.


Is she the favorite thing I've ever done? Or even close? No. Do I need many, many more hours of lessons? Or perhaps just Presley to be here to show me how? Absolutely! But, she did keep me busy for a bit and that was the purpose of this exercise-until I can get out and get some real exercise. Now I am off to clean up all of the chalk mess that I had forgotten happens. We are close to the end of another day. I think I know what I am going to do tomorrow so stay safe and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment