decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Not Again

Oops, I did it again...lol I have been seeing bee skeps made of twine all over the craft sites I follow and thought I might want to make one so I started looking for supplies the last time I was out. I had no trouble finding the twine but the right sized egg in the tutorial I watched was nowhere to be found...at least not for less than $20. I kind of filed it away in the back of my mind and thought I would look a few more place or just pick up a plastic flower pot that other posts were showing.

The problem with the pot, at least for me, was that I wasn't a fan of the shape of the skep you got. Somewhere in the middle of the night, I realized that I could use the inexpensive pot from the Dollar Tree and build up the top to more resemble the egg.

So, the Dollar Tree was to be on my list today after I picked up my car which was in for an oil change, filter, etc. Except, I got the news that my car wouldn't be ready until tomorrow. That meant no Dollar Tree. So, the next best thing was to shop my garage. I found a glass candle holder that I thought would work if I could build it up a bit.

The idea then was to cover the holder with Saran Wrap so that the skep would slip off when done-how genius am I? And so I started.




It took a fair amount of foil but soon I was happy with the shape.


Then, it is just a matter of using hot glue-LOTS of hot glue-and wrapping the shape with the twine.


I think the real trick is to glue the twine to itself and not just the shape. I am a bit lot OCD and I was trying so hard to keep the twine with no gaps but I soon realized that that is almost impossible-at least with the twine I was using-as the thickness was anything but consistent. It went from thin to thick and everywhere in between so I had to accept just going with the flow.


Once it was finished, I was anxious to remove the pot and see how it looked. This is where my "genius" kind of flew out the window. I had failed to take into consideration the fact that the holder was textured...and the foil just gripped every bit of that texture. I tried everything I could think of and, ultimately, ended up just breaking the candle holder to pull it all out. Luckily, it wasn't a favorite any more.


Next came a circle of twine and some black chalk paint to look like the opening.


I really had no plans as to how to embellish it but, since I had come this far, I hit my flower stash and pulled some spring flowers. I am really not good with bows or floral design but, with a pair of wire cutters and enough hot glue, anything is possible.


So there you have it. I'm not even sure where it will go but with the new pieces of furniture that I have and a few other pieces being moved around, I just know that I will be looking for more spring decor when I start to decorate for Easter next week. And, once I get into the stores again I might find flowers I like better and it may change-we shall see. Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment