decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, August 24, 2024

Yay!!!

 I am not rushing to put on my sweater or the heat but there is FINALLY a little break in our temperatures and I definitely hit the ground running this morning. I have been keeping up with most of the yard to some extent...except for the triangle on the other side of the pool. Since the heat and storms have pretty much kept me from being outside a lot, that is the one area of the yard that I don't really see so it has been forgotten. And, to top that off, last year I made the decision to let the azalea border just grow to see how pretty it would look in the spring.

Usually I cut the heck out of those things right after they bloom and I make sure I keep the lower areas limb-free so the snakes don't hide out there either. This year I didn't do that so when I got out there this morning I was shocked at how much they had grown and how much would need to be trimmed. I got going and kept at it even though my back hurt because I am used to that now that I am no longer a young one. And, I kept going after a number of scrapes and scratches. But, I did stop right here when I realized that I had raised four really good sized blisters on my hand from the clippers. 

You can see where I stopped-kind of to the right of the water hose in the fore front. I have since gone back and gotten the last of it done. In this picture it looks like there aren't any azaleas left at all. There are...but they're WAY smaller than they were. This is why my girls never wanted me to trim their hair when they were younger-I get going and don't know where to stop! Lol

Of course, now that most of the growth is away from the fence, the loose boards and mold are so much more obvious so that just adds some more to the list. Not to mention picking up all of this and then going back and weeding everything...and then edging the hydrangea garden...and scrubbing the slide...and scrubbing the bird baths...and.... Oh well, it's a good thing I enjoy gardening...and I actually really do so it will be fun to tackle the rest of the list-as long as Mother Nature doesn't change her mind about the temperatures!

I'm actually in the house nursing my "wounds" for a bit so I thought we could head into the dining room. 


I love this time of year for so many reasons. I love getting out all of the old jugs and crocks that I found in antique stores so many years ago. I used to have them out all of the time when my house was decorated in a bit more of a primitive style but this time of the year just seems to be calling for them.


Here is what the dough bowl looks like with that once "gray" pumpkin redone. I did try to put a bit of a shine on it but my matte sealer was all I had so the next time I hit HL I am going to grab a semi-gloss so it will match the others in shine.


I made this cross stitch as a gift for my mom many years ago and it came back to me after she passed away. It is such a pretty thought about how our family has changed over the years as everyone has grown up and brought significant others and new babies into the fold.




This is where I put the autumn "busted canvas" that I made and I do think it serves its purpose. I made it to fill in the gap above the vase because everything looked off balance before. I could always move one of the larger side pieces to the middle and put two smaller things to the sides but then the pretty part of the window frame would be hidden so I'm happy with this. 




I'm kind of getting excited thinking about possibly changing up this area just a bit. Daughter #1-who is an interior designer in St. Pete-is changing up her own home a bit and she remembered that I have been in love with a few of things she is thinking of getting rid of so she asked if I wanted them. Believe me, she hardly had time to get the words out of her mouth that I was yelling a resounding "yes"!! One of the things is a piece of a pediment in a kind of verdigris color. It is old. I think she found it in Atlanta many years ago. I am hoping to use it above the love seat. She's not sure it will work there but, believe me, if it doesn't it WILL work somewhere else. She also has two of the most beautiful sconce type lamps. They could go here as well but I'm thinking maybe they would be better in the living room. She's waiting for some art that she ordered to be delivered and once it is, these beauties will be on their way to me.

She also has two gorgeous chairs that I have always loved. She is on the fence about them. Do you think it is too obvious when I encourage her to look for new ones? Lol

So that's the dining room for this year. I'm off to grab a late lunch and then I am going to make a pot of my favorite Martha Stewart Vegetable Vermicelli soup. I know it's not exactly soup weather just yet but I can pretend. Stay safe and stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment