decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Not At All...

...what I had in mind. This is just one of those times that so many things went wrong! I am O.K. with the finished product but, it is not at all where I was originally heading and, as I said previously, if I knew this was where I was going to end up, I would have used the original Mason jars with their embossed logo because I think they would look nicer with the distressed areas showing more "distress". But, I had too much time already invested in these things to totally scrap what was happening. And so, here is where I stand at the moment.


Sorry I didn't take pictures of the steps it took to get to this point but it isn't rocket science. After spraying the jars with a gloss paint and not being able to get out to buy a new can of satin red paint, I simply painted on two coats of a regular craft acrylic paint and let it dry overnight.

I liked that finish so much better so I did a bit of sanding. Here is where I would have done so much more distressing if I had had the words on the jars. It just doesn't show up as well on the flat glass.

Next, I painted on small, white hearts. I was going to try stamping them but I wanted a hand painted look so I ended up using a pencil eraser dipped in white paint and painting two touching dots and then using a VERY thin brush to pull the paint down into the heart point - easy peasy!

I gave the lids a quick coat of white. I an planning on tying on some twine and embellishments so I think I will like the hint of white. If not, I can always twist them off! I also gave the jars a light coat of a satin sealer just to be sure the paint stayed where it was!

You can see by the leaves in the picture that our weather was a bit blustery yesterday and I had two sets of company as well as an electrician here all day so I didn't get out to get the rest of what I need to finish these. I really didn't mean to drag one pitiful little project into a week's worth of posts, but somehow, I did!



I'm not the world's biggest camellia fan but I do have two bushes that, even though I totally neglect them, they do put forth some pretty blooms for me each year. I happened upon these yesterday and since it is so much nicer inside right now, I brought them along and popped them into one of the pink "Mason" jars that I found at Target the other day. I love the candy cane look of this bloom.

I know you are on the edge of your seats to see how these jars ultimately end up...me too??!!! Hopefully I will be able to show you in my next post. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment