decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, October 6, 2014

"Now I'm Really Scared"!!

Sometimes things turn out as planned and sometimes they even turn out better! Unfortunately, today, neither of those happened. I am working on a craft idea that I should have known was jinxed from the start when I couldn't find the required supplies and then realized how small this thing was once I actually started to put two and two together.

In my defense, I recently had some eye surgery that turned out being way more invasive than I had realized and I am still pretty confined to home and darkness. I am still having trouble focusing and when I use my eyes too much, they burn and water and I can't see at all. All that being said, it really doesn't address the failure of this project but I am ready to lay the blame anywhere I can!

So this is what was going all over Pinterest and I thought it would make a good Halloween gift this year. Pretty cute, huh?






He looked simple enough until I started out to find the supplies. The "votive holder" that she used for the bowl was NO WHERE to be found! I couldn't find anything else with this depth that had a flat edge so that you could glue on the skelly so I ended up with a very shallow candle dish.

Then, when I started to cut up the skeletons, their bones are so TINY! the blogger said she got the skeletons at the dollar store, so I am pretty sure I am using the correct ones. The next size up that I found would have been WAY TOO BIG!

And so, because I really couldn't see to find anything better or shop for anything better, I forged ahead.


I started by using E6000 glue to adhere the candlestick to the candle dish. I ended up making a template and drawing a circle to be sure the candlestick was pretty much in the center of the dish - and then you just kind of have to keep an eye on things because glass on glass tends to slip with the glue until it has taken a hold.


Then, I glued on the skeleton pieces. I had to use two skeletons each - although I only used one skull - to get enough bones to make it look full.



I sprayed the whole thing silver.
 
I don't have any pictures of the next step because you have to work pretty fast. You simply paint over the entire thing with black paint - I did mine in sections - and then quickly wipe it off leaving some in the nooks and crannies. This is where I learned another something??? As I was holding the stem of the holder to wipe off the paint, I realized that the silver paint was flaking off on my hand. I don"t know if it was because I didn't let the paint "cure" or if it was that I should have primed the shiny, slippery clear glass first - probably. I simply went back with a quick swipe of silver and antiqued it again and we are fine.




I put a candle in mine but, as you can see, it kind of blocks the whole idea of the skeleton and his bones. I then put the candle and holder back on the shelf and this is a total fail - it is too high to see any of the detail. I think I am going to use it for candy instead - although I think it will have to be wrapped candy because I am not sure if the paint would be food safe - and it really isn't big enough to hold very much - maybe that's the only bright spot associated with this project because I don't need a lot of candy. Maybe I'll leave the candle in it and just put it somewhere lower.

In any case, it still isn't a favorite but, as the kids are always saying, "it is what it is". And any way, isn't it the thought that counts? Stay tuned.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment