decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

New Kids on the Block...

...otherwise known as "still tweaking"!

I like to tell myself that I am not one of those people swayed by advertising...and I think that is still probably true. But, if I see something I love in an ad and it is something exactly like what I would buy if I stumbled upon it all by myself, I will run find my way to that store as soon as possible!. Yesterday was just such a day. Hubby and I had an early meeting and then I had a hair appointment at 12:15. We got done with the meeting with too much time for me to head to my hair dresser but really not enough to accomplish anything else on the list of to-dos. And then I remembered the Pier 1 email I had received that morning. There was a round leaf place mat that I thought I could use for the sun room table - I didn't like the way it was looking. So, off I went. Let me preface this by saying that I don't really shop much at Pier 1 ever since they kind of changed their focus. To me it is too crowded with LITTLE stuff everywhere and I find it too hard to zone in on everything else. But, that being said, I guess I am always willing to make an exception - especially if autumn and Halloween are involved!

My Pier 1 store is decked out top to bottom in autumn and Halloween. Yes, it is still a bit overwhelming...but in my a good way if you know what I mean.

In any case, the place mat I was looking for had not even been unpacked yet so if I had not seen that ad - even if I DID happen into Pier 1 - I would not have found it. I was hoping it would be a bit more like the runner I have on my dining room table but, it will serve the purpose.

And then, as my eyes were trying to focus on one thing at a time, it happened! I saw it! I could not take my eyes off of it! Yes, you guessed it, another of my beloved olive jars! I don't know why, but they call out to me wherever they are! And, since this one was already on sale AND they would let me use my extra coupon as well, it was a no-brainer!




Isn't she a beauty!?!


I love that it has the olive oil stamp. I know it is just a reproduction - and an inexpensive one in the scheme of things - but it speaks to my heart...and, it really didn't cost me anything. There is an incredibly long back story that I won't begin to bother you with, but we were charged $60 for a service call that went all kinds of wrong and when it was all said and done, it turned out being "their" equipment at fault and needing replacement - which I told them that was the problem when I set up the appointment because this is the same exact thing that has happened 5 other times since "they" introduced this new equipment...but, I digress - so the service call was supposed to be "no charge". The second guy that was here til all hours of the night told me "no charge. This is on us". But, apparently the first guy who came hours earlier and didn't even have a clue what the new box was and literally left my house after doing NOT ONE THING, yelling at me for several different reasons and just driving away leaving me no indication IF I would ever see another technician or not...but again, I digress! - put in a service call fee of $60.

Now, I am a nice person and probably the least confrontational person you will ever meet and I have been known to do all kinds of things I shouldn't have when things were in no way my fault, but after having to spend 4 hours on the phone after this guy left before I could get to a person who could actually right the wrong, NO WAY was I paying.

Suffice it to say that I stayed very calm when I went to my local office but I stood my ground and got the fee waved! So, you see, the olive jar was meant to be and FREE! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! But don't even get me started on cable companies, 4 hour phone calls, getting disconnected several times and never being able to get back to the same person - as well as having no clue from where they are even talking to you - so you are telling your story over and over again and....well, that will be for another post - and, if you're lucky, I will forget about it before that happens!





Here is the autumn leaf place mat. I am using it as a "doily". It doesn't bear quite the presence that my dining room runner has, but I think it serves the purpose.

And here is a hint of what is coming tomorrow:


So excited! We have had a busy week with still more fun to come. Hubby and I have actually gotten to two movies this week. Tomorrow, daughter #3 and her family will be here for our back to school dinner. The kids have been in school a week now so we will get to hear all of their thoughts on the new school year and teachers and friends - can't wait. And then, on Friday, daughter #2 and her family are coming down. They are on their way out of town on Saturday but want to spend the night with us before leaving. This was a totally, unexpected surprise and we always love to have them here. And next week, my sister-in-law is coming to spend the day with me. She is starting a family scrapbook just when I am ready to get rid of so much of my stuff, so we will be clearing out things from my house to hers and hopefully get to enjoy a nice lunch along the way. And still I have more autumn decorating to share with you. Always busy in autumn! Have I told you how much I LOVE this season?!? Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment