decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, August 27, 2012

Let There Be Light!

I know so many of you are sitting on the edge of your seats waiting to hear if I ever got my Halloween lamp wired with a new plug. Well, wait no more. Ta-da!!!!



I really am happy with the results. I am a "happy" Halloween decorating kind of girl. I don't go for the gory side of the day as I have lots of little ones in and out of my home during the month and my goal is to celebrate...not send them home with nightmares. I do some of the laboratory vignettes and Edgar Allan Poe, but nothing too sinister. I'm a glitter kind of gal!

Now, I must say that there was one misstep in finishing this project. Let me start by saying that "I love Lowes". It is the first place I will head any time I have a home improvement idea. So, after an exceptionally long day of doctor's appointment and treatment, my husband and I headed out to dinner. We were both exhausted but, as you know, I don't liked unfinished projects. And, since one of our favorite restaurants is right across from Lowes, I convinced my hubby to come with me to get the new plug so I could stay home the next day and maybe accomplish something.

In any case, since I have used this quick plug method many times, I thought I knew right where to head. No luck.....and not a Lowes employee anywhere in sight. After looking up and down many aisles, I finally spied the red vested "expert". Of course, he was talking to a man with another man waiting next. I took my place in the line. Since we were in the light bulb aisle, I figured "how long can each question possibly take?". Well, there must be much more to talk about light bulbs than I could ever have imagined, but when said "expert" (that is what was on his vest) finished with both of the men, he started to walk away as if I was invisible! Now, I am a pretty non-confrontational kind of person, but I have my limits. I stepped forward and got his attention. Apparently he is one of "those men" who thinks that women should remain barefoot and pregnant and not tread in "men's territory". And, either it annoyed him that I knew exactly what I was asking or he really didn't have a clue what I was talking about because he led me to the electrical aisle, picked up a "real" plug, mumbled something about "you just pull the wires through here and then....."-which made absolutely NO sense and I asked him to please repeat those instructions. When he did, I may have said "that makes no sense" or something like that. I then reiterated that I have done this many times before and I just need the quick plug kit. That is when he told me there was no such thing......and I proceeded to Wal-Mart a bit down the road, walked into their hardware section and purchased this!


This is not the first time I have been ignored or talked down to in Lowes. Considering that the majority of home improvement projects are initiated by women and many times, completely accomplished by women, I would think a major store like Lowes would train their employees to treat all customers as equals.

Of yes, when I finally got so annoyed at him that I said, "well, I guess I will have to head to Home Depot", his response was "I guess you will" or something along those lines. I probably should have reported him to someone-if I could have found someone. Plus, again, it had been a looonnnng day and I was ready for it to be over.

Now that my lamp is working and I have had time to calm down, I will head to Lowes again. I hold no grudges-but, I will be on the look-out for that "expert" from here on out and make sure I head as far as possible in the opposite direction when I spy him!

In any case, I am using today to get some indoor projects lined up just in case Isaac makes more of a visit to Ocala than is currently predicted. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment