decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, November 14, 2020

Here I Go Again

 So, once again I found myself looking for something to keep me busy for another day at home. As the virus numbers continue to rise, I am finding myself more than happy to just stay home. The funniest part is that I am also finding myself happy to just find little things to keep me busy as I wile away the days. I no longer need the BIG projects to keep me happy-although, I do still have a few of them on the back burner.

In any case, one of the craft blogs that I follow did a knock off of a primitive painting on an ornament. I don't know why but for some reason it spoke to me and I knew I would have to do my own rendition.

I am definitely no Picasso...not even a Warhol or even a Grandma Moses! And, I discovered that trying to paint something kind of primitive on purpose was hard. It definitely looks more like I am a pitiful painter than an accomplished rustic one but, oh well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Lol

And, although I would have preferred to do this on wood, I didn't have any wood the size I wanted and, it was Friday afternoon...I just didn't want to have to drag out the chop saw and put wood together involving nails and glue. And so, I grabbed a canvas I had in my stash and went to town. The only other things I needed were brushes and paint.

I started by painting on a "sloppy" (on purpose) coat of the antiquing gel. I'm thinking now that this medium might no be meant for canvas because even after wiping it down, it really didn't want to dry as paint would. If I had had the correct shade of brown, I definitely would have chosen acrylic paint. I do like that it gives the canvas a wood look.


Next I added dry brushed coats of a greenish blue and popped in a few streaks of white.

And this is where I always surprise myself. I must like painting more than I realize because once the background is done and I can start on the details, I forget to take pictures of the steps along the way. Here is where I was when I remembered the first time.


And, here is where I ended up. I added a bit of my own personal touch to it...not sure it was needed but  it is there none the less. It is so simple and simplistic...and I think I really like it. And, being the size that it is, it is probably another perfect candidate for the shelves in the TV unit.


I am actually starting to get excited about decorating for Christmas although it won't happen until after Thanksgiving. I have no idea what the next month will bring and if we will even be able to gather for the holiday this year but, I will be ready! Now on to find something to keep me busy today. Stay safe and stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment